Old 02-12-2005, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Best for Florida

"William Barger" wrote in message
Which roses are best for Central Florida? They will receive full sun in
a raised bed situation. I want to plant a red and a white behind low
lying Blue Daze. Mr. Lincoln would probably be my choice for the red.
Not sure about the white, or if Mr. Lincoln is compatible with Florida's
weather. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bill

I'm in Southcentral TX and plant all kinds of
roses, modern and old garden, climbers, bush
roses, minis. I do mostly raised beds and
amend our local (fine clay) soil. My roses get
sulky during our hot summers but really perk up
in the spring and fall. I'm indifferent about
feeding but regular about watering.

I've had some of the hardiest roses succomb
to ... whatever! and some of the weakest roses
do well for years.

My advice (until/unless some Floridian comes
along to give you better advice) is to plant what
you want as long as you can find it locally (or
are willing to order online/by catalog) and give it
good care and hope for the best.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8