Old 03-12-2005, 08:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Compostman

Default composting leaves -- any to avoid?

"Dennis Edward" wrote in message
For the most part, people say you can use leaves in compost. But I've
heard there are some tree droppings you should avoid putting in compost.
Anyone know which ones?

I assume you're talking about leaves that have naturally fallen from trees.
Leaves with waxy coatings such as Southern Magnolia and hollies are slow to
compost. However, I run my magnolias through a shredder and they do fine.
I don't compost holly leaves because of the prickers.

John Henry Wheeler
Washington, DC
USDA Zone 7