Old 07-02-2003, 11:22 PM
tim

Default Sarcococca

I have found Lon. purpusii needs to pruned very little and responds to a
cold winter much better. It will flower better if it gets a cold snap
straight after autumn.
I love scented plants but i must admit at this time of year the weather
never seems to provide the right environment for the scent to travel far.
Unless you cut branches to take indoors.

"Trevor Appleton" wrote in message
Is it me?

Scent is one of my main interests in the garden, and especially winter
scent. My all time favourite plant is my 7 year old Daphne bholua
'Darjeeling' now 6ft high by 4 ft spread which I can smell from 20 yards
even when its minus 6 outside. Its been flowering its socks off for six
weeks now.

But Sarcocca? I find the smell absolutely obnoxious. To me it smells like

plastic bottle that has been left on a red hot hob.

BTW have tried for several years to grow Lonicera fragrantissima and L.
purpusii. The bushes grow to 4ft x 4ft, but have a pathetic number of
flowers, and I'll probably give up and throw them away.

---