Old 04-12-2005, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jmagerl

Default Potted plant pH too high -- how to adjust?

My experience with high pH says to check the water you are watering with.
The soil tends to take on the pH of the water used. In my case my well water
tends to run with a pH 8 and pretty soon so is the soil in my house
plants. About once a month I use a acid type fertilizer (miracle grow for
acid plants). Seems to balance everything out over time. Put some holes in
the pot too. Using a fertilizer will build up salts real fast. Watering with
rain water is also helpful.

"Spud Demon" wrote in message
I have a plant that has been getting lighter green as it gets bigger. I
thought the problem was nitrogen so I added some Miracle-Gro to the water.
It didn't seem to have any effect.

Today I tested the pH of my soil, and it's 9. Recommended value is 5-7.
How can I safely acidify a potted plant?

(Pointers to a FAQ page welcome ... if this is a FAQ.)

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.