Old 30-11-2005, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Spud Demon

Default Potted plant pH too high -- how to adjust?

I have a plant that has been getting lighter green as it gets bigger. I
thought the problem was nitrogen so I added some Miracle-Gro to the water.
It didn't seem to have any effect.

Today I tested the pH of my soil, and it's 9. Recommended value is 5-7.
How can I safely acidify a potted plant?

(Pointers to a FAQ page welcome ... if this is a FAQ.)

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Old 30-11-2005, 05:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom Randy

On 2005-11-30 12:10:34 -0500, (Spud Demon) said:

I have a plant that has been getting lighter green as it gets bigger. I
thought the problem was nitrogen so I added some Miracle-Gro to the water.
It didn't seem to have any effect.

Today I tested the pH of my soil, and it's 9. Recommended value is
5-7. How can I safely acidify a potted plant?

(Pointers to a FAQ page welcome ... if this is a FAQ.)

http://www.savvygardener.com/Features/soil_ph.html

Google is your friend!

--
Chris: "Dad, what's a blowhole for?"
Peter: "I'll tell you what it's NOT for and then you'll know why I can

Old 30-11-2005, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

(Spud Demon) wrote:

I have a plant that has been getting lighter green as it gets bigger. I
thought the problem was nitrogen so I added some Miracle-Gro to the water.
It didn't seem to have any effect.

Today I tested the pH of my soil, and it's 9. Recommended value is 5-7.
How can I safely acidify a potted plant?

It sounds like you have an azalea. Anyway, what ever it is, you can use
powdered sulfur to lower the pH. Do not use aluminum sulfate. It is
good for hydrangeas but eventually kills plants like azaleas. They
can't tolerate high aluminum levels.

Also, there is a product MirAcid put out by MiracleGro. I am not a fan
of it, but it would be better than MiracleGro. However over-fertilizing
can be the problem*. First, try some sulfur. It is slow acting, so
wait a while. You might try some Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). It
is good at greening up plants and will provide a little short term
acidification. Magnesium is an essential element and lack of it will
cause yellowish areas between the leaf veins on older leaves. If the
leaves are a solid green the addition of Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate)
would not be useful.

*Yellowing of a leaf between darl green veins is called chlorosis. Many
conditions can be responsible. Poor drainage, planting too deeply, heavy
soil with poor aeration, insect or fungus damage in the root zone and
lack of moisture all induce chlorosis. After these conditions are
eliminated as possible causes, soil testing is in order. Chlorosis can
be caused by malnutrition caused by alkalinity of the soil, potassium
deficiency, calcium deficiency, iron deficiency or magnesium deficiency.
A combination of acidification with sulfur and iron supplements such as
chelated iron or iron sulfate will usually treat this problem. Chlorosis
can also be caused by nitrogen toxicity (usually caused by nitrate
fertilizers) or other conditions that damage the roots such as root rot,
severe cutting of the roots, root weevils or root death caused by
extreme amounts of fertilizer.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6
Old 01-12-2005, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

The best remedy for a potted plant is to change the potting soil. What
could you have put in the pot to go pH 9. I don't know of any potting
soils that are more than neutral. I f you have an acid loving plant
requiring a pH below 6. there are specific potting mixtures for that
situation.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Spud Demon

Thanks to all who replied, especially Stephen -- lots of useful info!

" writes in article . com dated 1 Dec 2005 07:48:56 -0800:
The best remedy for a potted plant is to change the potting soil. What
could you have put in the pot to go pH 9. I don't know of any potting
soils that are more than neutral. I f you have an acid loving plant
requiring a pH below 6. there are specific potting mixtures for that
situation.

The plant has been in the same soil for over a year but the problem is more
recent. All I added was water (through a new hose) and fertilizer. But
it's an undrained pot, maybe that has something to do with the pH going
crazy.

Anyway, last night I added half a cup of Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate)
mixed with a gallon of water. Later today I will re-check the pH.

I don't want to mess up the root ball by transplanting it in different soil,
but I might rinse it (overwater and then dump out the excess) if the
chemical/bacterial route doesn't work. That should bring the pH close to 7.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

Spud Demon wrote:
[...]

Plants should *never* be planted in a pot without drainage.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 02-12-2005, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 16:50:31 +0000 (UTC), Spud Demon wrote:

The plant has been in the same soil for over a year but the problem is more
recent. All I added was water (through a new hose) and fertilizer. But
it's an undrained pot, maybe that has something to do with the pH going
crazy.

Anyway, last night I added half a cup of Epsom salt (Magnesium Sulfate)
mixed with a gallon of water. Later today I will re-check the pH.

I don't want to mess up the root ball by transplanting it in different soil,
but I might rinse it (overwater and then dump out the excess) if the

In my opinion and experience, you'd be far better off getting that plant
out of the pot, soil rinsed from the roots, and then repotted into fresh
medium in a pot with proper drainage. Put the drained pot into the
undrained one, if you want to show it off -- and consider looking up
"double potting", where the space between the clay pot and the display
pot is packed with a fibrous, water-retentive medium like long strand
sphagnum.

Plants experience many more stresses in a pot than they do planted outside.
The root volume is restricted, the soil tends to collapse and become
oxygen deficient as organic matter is depleted, the plant tends to experience
drought-and-drown watering (especially a problem in an undrained container)
and salts tend to accumulate in teh soil, leading to tip burn of leaves
and eventually to the plant being unable to get adequate moisture from
the soil. Adding that half cup of mag sulfate (a salt) is going to accelerate
that salinization problem.

I don't know the specimen size you're dealing with here... I've repotted
lots of big plants myself, up to about 60 gallon containers, and
borrowed muscles for bigger containers. It's definitely work. But
the plant will do better in better growing conditions.

Kay

Old 04-12-2005, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jmagerl

My experience with high pH says to check the water you are watering with.
The soil tends to take on the pH of the water used. In my case my well water
tends to run with a pH 8 and pretty soon so is the soil in my house
plants. About once a month I use a acid type fertilizer (miracle grow for
acid plants). Seems to balance everything out over time. Put some holes in
the pot too. Using a fertilizer will build up salts real fast. Watering with
rain water is also helpful.