Old 05-12-2005, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Bill Stock

Default getting some green spot algae?

"Dave@AquaFlora" wrote in message
Hey I'm getting some green spot algae over a few plants. I need to know
how much to fertilize. I have removed some lighting because I couldn't
keep up a stable environment (I had 4wpg). I now have a more manageable
2.67wpg @ 10hrs per day, 15 gallon wide tank, 25-28ppm CO2, doing 50%
water changes weekly, adding 3-4ml traces and rice grain of phosphate and
1/8 tsp potassium nitrate biweekly. Should I be fertilizing more or less?

The plants seem to be growing fast, well and lush, but there is always
this damn green spot algae on a about 20% of them.

thanks

Dave

Is it Green Dust Algae or Green Spot Algae? Green Dust Algae is VERY bright
green, powdery and brushes off easily. I believe GDA is pretty common, even
in a healthy tank. I have very little GSA or GDA since increasing my Oto
population. I am fighting some BBA right now though, so I'll be adding some
SAEs.

Your Traces seem a little low, assuming you're using the PMDD doses, but you
have less light than I do. Your Phosphate looks to be about 3.5 PPM,
assuming 1/16 tsp, I try to keep mine around 1 PPM, but 2 PPM is not
unreasonable. Your KN03 seems a bit too low, but your fish may make up the
difference. I don't add any, but then my water changes are smaller. Do you
add any extra Potassium or Magnesium (Epsom salts) to your traces?

It looks like you've got a good handle on things, healthy plants are the
major battle.

You might want to check out Chuck Gadd's nutrient calculator:
http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

Tom Barr's site is also very good for the plant enthusiast, but you have to
subscribe: www.barrreport.com