Old 06-12-2005, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Pomegranite

Sacha wrote:
On 6/12/05 16:55, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:

The message
from Steve Newport contains these
words:

All this talk of Superfoods and anti-oxidants.

How easy are pomegranites to grow in the UK?

I planted a seed tray full and about half came up and have

survived
to date - including one in a small pot which I left outside by
accident, and it survived -4°C

Did it fruit. ;-)))

The 64k-dollar question. As others have said, they'll grow in places
with cold winters, but that means very little in itself -- they
prosper in the harsh mountains of Andalusia, and even the Sahara is a
cold place when the sun isn't shining, and people don't notice the
Australian frosts because they've melted before right-minded folk are
out of bed. You won't get fruit in the UK, of course; and in response
to Nick, my recollection is that they don't drop the fruits in even
quite savage desert conditions as long as they've got some moisture
at the roots -- think oasis. Gorgeous flowers, but one of the more
boring fruits, anyhow: you have to come from a desert culture to get
excited about them. Give me a real ripe Cox's Orange Pippin, if you
can find one (Tesco and Waitrose need not apply).

--
Mike.