Old 07-12-2005, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default Epsom salts

On 6 Dec 2005 10:20:26 -0800, Chuckie wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of mixing epsom salt with water and spraying them
on vegtable plants when they are blooming to increase the yield.
I would like to know if this works, I need somthing to increase the
amount of vegetable prodution.

First step is a soil test... a real one where you take several samples of
soil from within your garden, and then send it off to a soil testing
labratory. Some states have soil tests for very low costs, others
will tell you to send your samples to a commercial lab (usually $$
compared to $ for a state lab). I don't know if Iowa still does it,
but the ISU soil lab would test out of state samples, though they got
done after the instate samples were run.

Then, if you need magnesium (or some other elements), you'll know how
much of what to add, instead of just shotgunning it. You could be dealing
with a great number of different reasons why you're not getting good
yields, from pH to watering to shade to mineral excesses, to mineral
deficiencies, to poorly chosen cultivars, to soil compaction to ....
well, you get the idea.

More info here from Iowa State, but check with your own extension service.
http://www.agron.iastate.edu/soiltesting/prices.html

Kay

http://www.agron.iastate.edu/soiltesting/prices.html