Old 06-12-2005, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Default Epsom salts

Has anyone ever heard of mixing epsom salt with water and spraying them
on vegtable plants when they are blooming to increase the yield.
I would like to know if this works, I need somthing to increase the
amount of vegetable prodution.
Chuckie in the frozen north zone 5

Old 06-12-2005, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

If you were smart, you would be using actual water soluble chemical
fertilizer like Miracle-gro instead.

ups.com...

Old 06-12-2005, 08:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

I always put about a tbs of epsom salt down before I plant tomatoes and
peppers. Also good for roses. It is just magnesium sulfate. No salt in
it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 06-12-2005, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
David Ross

Chuckie wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of mixing epsom salt with water and spraying them
on vegtable plants when they are blooming to increase the yield.
I would like to know if this works, I need somthing to increase the
amount of vegetable prodution.
Chuckie in the frozen north zone 5

The magnesium in the Epsom salts promotes the formation of new
shoots. If that's the type of "increase" you want, then a very
small amount per plant should suffice.

With the first feeding in the spring, I dig about a tablespoon of
Epsom salts around each rose bush in my garden to promote the
growth of new canes. The roses also appreciate the acidity of the
sulfate, especially since soils in my area tend to be quite
alkaline.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 06-12-2005, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Cereus-validus-........... wrote:
If you were smart, you would be using actual water soluble chemical
fertilizer like Miracle-gro instead.

I am actually trying to get away from commercial products, such as
miracle grow.
I have used miracle grow but my compost tea works just as well or
better.
And anything else to help me have a better yield I'll try as long as it
is organic.
Chuckie in the frozen north zone 5

Old 07-12-2005, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

If you want to be strictly "organic", then you shouldn't use Epsom salts
(magnesium sulphate) because it has absolutely no carbon compounds in it.

By definition, no fertilizers are "organic" because none of the vital
elements for plant growth are carbon.

Therefore, being strictly "organic" is a farce.

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 07-12-2005, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott

"Chuckie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone ever heard of mixing epsom salt with water and spraying them
on vegtable plants when they are blooming to increase the yield.
I would like to know if this works, I need somthing to increase the
amount of vegetable prodution.
Chuckie in the frozen north zone 5

It will be useful if the plants have a Magnesium deficiency otherwise it
will not do much.

David

Old 07-12-2005, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On 6 Dec 2005 10:20:26 -0800, Chuckie wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of mixing epsom salt with water and spraying them
on vegtable plants when they are blooming to increase the yield.
I would like to know if this works, I need somthing to increase the
amount of vegetable prodution.

First step is a soil test... a real one where you take several samples of
soil from within your garden, and then send it off to a soil testing
labratory. Some states have soil tests for very low costs, others
will tell you to send your samples to a commercial lab (usually $$
compared to $ for a state lab). I don't know if Iowa still does it,
but the ISU soil lab would test out of state samples, though they got
done after the instate samples were run.

Then, if you need magnesium (or some other elements), you'll know how
much of what to add, instead of just shotgunning it. You could be dealing
with a great number of different reasons why you're not getting good
yields, from pH to watering to shade to mineral excesses, to mineral
deficiencies, to poorly chosen cultivars, to soil compaction to ....
well, you get the idea.

More info here from Iowa State, but check with your own extension service.
http://www.agron.iastate.edu/soiltesting/prices.html

Kay

http://www.agron.iastate.edu/soiltesting/prices.html
Old 07-12-2005, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Epsom salts sprayed on the leaves of plants being grown in soil lacking
magnesium will cause better blooming and bigger sweet potatoes when used on
them. My extension agent recommended not using it here because we
apparently have plenty of it in our soil.

When using it, desolve 1 to 2 tbsp in a gallon of water and spray the
leaves, or put one around the plant and water it into the roots.

Dwayne

ups.com...

Old 07-12-2005, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Chuckie wrote:
[...]
Chuckie in the frozen north zone 5

Zone 5 is the frozen north?????

Egads, that's the banana belt from my p.o.v.

:-)

Old 08-12-2005, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
nunya

i think he was thinking that it isn't a chloride like sodium chloride or
potasium chloride

Lar wrote:
In article ,
says...
I always put about a tbs of epsom salt down before I plant tomatoes and
peppers. Also good for roses. It is just magnesium sulfate. No salt in
it.

Ummm...Magnesium sulphate IS the salt..It's mineral name is Epsomite

Old 08-12-2005, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Well 5 degrees F is frozen to me.
And if you any further up than zone five you must work for the guy in
the red suit.
Now I'm going to set my -60 degree boots next to the fire so that they
are warm for the morning :-)
Chuckie in the frozen north zone 5. Current temp 5F

Old 15-02-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
skwehe

Chuckie,
I use 2 TBL per tomato plant mixed with about 1/2 c of sugar and slow
release organic fertilizer. The plants take off faster and produce sooner.
We have a clay soil here that binds up many nutrients, this mix has really
helped in the past.
susan

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 15-02-2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
skwehe

Heck 50F is cold to me, it's 71 outside right now and is very nearly too
cool...
susan (zone 8), who thinks zone 7 qualifies as frozen

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well 5 degrees F is frozen to me.
And if you any further up than zone five you must work for the guy in
the red suit.
Now I'm going to set my -60 degree boots next to the fire so that they
are warm for the morning :-)
Chuckie in the frozen north zone 5. Current temp 5F

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] Epsom salts Samuel Gomez Bonsai 13 20-10-2003 08:12 AM
[IBC] Epsom salts and superthrive Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 1 18-10-2003 12:02 PM
[IBC] Superthrive (was [IBC] Epsom salts Anita Hawkins Bonsai 0 17-10-2003 05:42 PM
How much epsom salts for a sick pumpkin? Ednews United Kingdom 12 29-05-2003 05:24 AM
Epsom Salts??? Abra Myers Orchids 5 13-02-2003 07:25 AM