Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default Question about bulbs

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 20:43:53 -0600, Donald Gares wrote:
Ok, we purchased a bunch of tulips and daffodils from Brecks and then
never got them planted this fall. We are in zone 5 (extreme SE Iowa)
where it is currently 6 degrees F and falling with approximately 4
inches of snow on the ground so they are not going in the earth until
next spring.

Bet if you stick a good spade in the ground, especially near the house,
you can get down 12" pretty easily. (I grew up in Polk Co.).
If you don't want to do that, pot them in clay pots, soak the pots well
to water, and bury them in insulation (vermiculite, leaves, straw, etc.)
in the garage this winter. Bring them in and grow them (this is called
"forcing") and then plant the spent bulbs outside ASAP next spring.

See: http://tinyurl.com/b49sy

(and next time, you might try a specialty bulb supplier... you can get
some really nice bulbs for not much money, and timed for planting.)

Kay