Old 07-12-2005, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Donald Gares

Default Question about bulbs

Ok, we purchased a bunch of tulips and daffodils from Brecks and then
never got them planted this fall. We are in zone 5 (extreme SE Iowa)
where it is currently 6 degrees F and falling with approximately 4
inches of snow on the ground so they are not going in the earth until
next spring.

Now what the heck do we do with them over the winter so that we can
plant them VERY early next spring and still have them bloom? we do have
a small unheated garden building that we could store them
in.....wouldn'd that be the same as having them in the cold earth? Of
course we could put them in our shop which is normally heated to about
50 degrees F. What do you all recommend?

Thanks a bunch,

Don & Rhonda

Old 07-12-2005, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

Call Brecks and ask them. They should know. It probably happens to lots of
folks.

Alternately, I heard the vegetable drawer in the 'fridge is a good place to
keep them.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

I would try to warm the area you were going to plant them in, and dig the
holes and get them in the ground. Most bulbs I've bought, dry out within a
couple of months and then are no good. Maybe someone else has some better
advice for you.

Dwayne

Old 07-12-2005, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

One possibility would be to put them in pots, water them just enough to
moisten the soil and place them in an area which is close to freezing (like
33 degrees) for about 10 weeks. Then put them in your shop at 50 degrees for
a week or so and they will probably start to put up foliage. After the
foliage has been up for a few weeks, you can move them into the house and
they should bloom shortly thereafter. It's worth a try, and would give you
some great indoor flowers in March.

Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 20:43:53 -0600, Donald Gares wrote:
Ok, we purchased a bunch of tulips and daffodils from Brecks and then
never got them planted this fall. We are in zone 5 (extreme SE Iowa)
where it is currently 6 degrees F and falling with approximately 4
inches of snow on the ground so they are not going in the earth until
next spring.

Bet if you stick a good spade in the ground, especially near the house,
you can get down 12" pretty easily. (I grew up in Polk Co.).
If you don't want to do that, pot them in clay pots, soak the pots well
to water, and bury them in insulation (vermiculite, leaves, straw, etc.)
in the garage this winter. Bring them in and grow them (this is called
"forcing") and then plant the spent bulbs outside ASAP next spring.

See: http://tinyurl.com/b49sy

(and next time, you might try a specialty bulb supplier... you can get
some really nice bulbs for not much money, and timed for planting.)

Kay

Old 07-12-2005, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lynn

Get busy,go plant them right now!

as long as you can dig it should be ok..move the snow aside and dig I seen
me plant tulips on Christmas morning and they bloomed in the spring. I am in
zone 5 as well
--
Lynn

Old 07-12-2005, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Donald Gares

Lynn wrote:
Get busy,go plant them right now!

as long as you can dig it should be ok..move the snow aside and dig I seen
me plant tulips on Christmas morning and they bloomed in the spring. I am in
zone 5 as well

Hey, thanks everyone and if it is somewhat warm on Christmas morning we
will certainly do that but NOT now at -2 degrees F! :-)

I guess we still don't understand what the difference is between them
being cold (frozen) in an unheated building and being frozen in the ground.

Cheers,

Don & Rhonda

Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:47:44 -0600, Donald Gares wrote:
I guess we still don't understand what the difference is between them
being cold (frozen) in an unheated building and being frozen in the ground.

Air temp does not equal ground temp... there's a big thermal flywheel effect,
and soil temps are much more moderate than ground temps. So bulbs in the soil
outside don't freeze completely. Bulbs in a pot of soil, with the pot not
insulated, will freeze because there's less thermal mass.

Old 18-12-2005, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Anthony B

first caution

Storing the bulbs in the veggie bin of the refridgerator is a BAD idea if
one keeps onions and or garlic in there as well... the sulphur compounds
emitted by the onions/garlics will infiltrate the bulbs and kill off the
plantlets inside of them.

Second caution... reifridgerating bulbs then placing them out in the spring
is called forcing and can cause many bulbs to survive but a single season.

Best to do is to store them away in a dark, cool , but not freezing
location. there are many ways to do this, from storing them in dry peatmoss
to hanging them up in pantyhose.

they should keep till warmer weather

Virgo91967