Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default Question about bulbs

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:47:44 -0600, Donald Gares wrote:
I guess we still don't understand what the difference is between them
being cold (frozen) in an unheated building and being frozen in the ground.

Air temp does not equal ground temp... there's a big thermal flywheel effect,
and soil temps are much more moderate than ground temps. So bulbs in the soil
outside don't freeze completely. Bulbs in a pot of soil, with the pot not
insulated, will freeze because there's less thermal mass.