Old 08-12-2005, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Liz McGuire

Default getting some green spot algae?

:-) Well, maybe between the two of us we'll master the art of growing
brown algae!

I've heard that it's longer hours of low light that helps grow algae,
rather than high wattage. I also wonder if the wattage impacts the
type of algae (higher wattage gets you more of the green stuff, lower
gets you the brown stuff, for example).

Anywho, any further comments welcome (from anyone).

In the meantime, Oto and Inky seem content with the algae wafers (good
news) and have nice fat tummies, so they're not starving. I've got to
do some searching on how to soften up some spinach and zucchini and
then I'll try them on that (while I try to figure out the algae
farming techniques).

Thanks,

Liz

Bill Stock wrote:

Excess light "should" grow Algae, but I haven't had any luck so far. I even
upgraded the lights to 2x36, although I'm only running one bulb until the
second ballast arrives. I recently replaced all the gravel and most of the
water, so I suspect the Nitrates are quite low. I moved most of the Otos to
the large plant tank, so Algae is less of a concern. I used Algae covered
rocks from the GF tank to tide them over.