Old 09-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Paul England

Default Propagator veg min temps ?

On 9th Feb 2003, Alan Gould wrote

Wait for 2 to 3 weeks. Even if you manage to get some seeds to germinate,
the seedlings will not want to be put out until mid-March at least. Be
prepared to do a second sowing too in case the earlier ones are caught out
by late frosts. By midsummer, the later sowings will have
caught up with the earlier ones anyway - so try to be patient.
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Paul
England writes
Your main problem will be what to do with the seeds when they *have*

germinated. At this time of year they'll not be getting a lot of light, and
if they have to stay too long in the propagator before going outside, then
they're going to get leggy and spindly.

Where I am (Yorkshire), french and runner beans won't be planted out

till June, so sowing now would be way too early, and the bulk of outside
sowings would happen in May, so if I were to start them indoors I'd
start in April Meanwhile, you could be sowing broad beans in your

allotment!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Thanks Alan and Kay for your kind posts advising patience for several weeks.
The immediate priority must be the allotment, although 8 yrs of nettles have
been cleared, it needs to be dug and de-rooted.
Meanwhile, if weather threatens, I can do the 50 yds dash to the garage and
stick on some more varnish.
Oh and thanks Kay, for the reminder to get broadbeans
Regards .......... Paul