Old 09-02-2003, 05:46 PM
Paul England

Default Propagator veg min temps ?

I have just built a 2ft x 2ft x 6ft propagator with polycarb lid, false
floor with 30 watt beer-brewing strap under.
I am anxious to start some hardy veg seeds off as I have just taken over a
half-share in an allotment and I'm all of a quivver !
My minimum temp over the past 2 nights is 11 oC, but may drop a bit, if
there is sustained frost.
Should I be cautious and wait for say 14 oC ?

Thanks ........ Paul

Old 09-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Paul
England writes
I have just built a 2ft x 2ft x 6ft propagator with polycarb lid, false
floor with 30 watt beer-brewing strap under.
I am anxious to start some hardy veg seeds off as I have just taken over a
half-share in an allotment and I'm all of a quivver !
My minimum temp over the past 2 nights is 11 oC, but may drop a bit, if
there is sustained frost.
Should I be cautious and wait for say 14 oC ?

Wait for 2 to 3 weeks. Even if you manage to get some seeds to
germinate, the seedlings will not want to be put out until mid-March at
least. Be prepared to do a second sowing too in case the earlier ones
are caught out by late frosts. By midsummer, the later sowings will have
caught up with the earlier ones anyway - so try to be patient.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:13 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Paul
England writes
I have just built a 2ft x 2ft x 6ft propagator with polycarb lid, false
floor with 30 watt beer-brewing strap under.
I am anxious to start some hardy veg seeds off as I have just taken over a
half-share in an allotment and I'm all of a quivver !
My minimum temp over the past 2 nights is 11 oC, but may drop a bit, if
there is sustained frost.
Should I be cautious and wait for say 14 oC ?

Your main problem will be what to do with the seeds when they *have*
germinated. At this time of year they'll not be getting a lot of light,
and if they have to stay too long in the propagator before going
outside, then they're going to get leggy and spindly.

Where I am (Yorkshire), french and runner beans won't be planted out
till June, so sowing now would be way too early, and the bulk of outside
sowings would happen in May, so if I were to start them indoors I'd
start in April

Meanwhile, you could be sowing broad beans in your allotment!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/
Old 09-02-2003, 08:21 PM
Mary Fisher

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

Where I am (Yorkshire), french and runner beans won't be planted out
till June, so sowing now would be way too early,

Oh thanks, Kay! I was worried when I heard that Phil Archer was sowing his
in his conservatory but even allowing for the difference beteween here and
Borsetshire it seemed a tad early ...

and the bulk of outside
sowings would happen in May, so if I were to start them indoors I'd
start in April

Phew!

Meanwhile, you could be sowing broad beans in your allotment!

That's no problem, haven't got an allotment.

Mary

Old 09-02-2003, 10:23 PM
Trevor Appleton

Where I am (Yorkshire), french and runner beans won't be planted out
till June, so sowing now would be way too early, and the bulk of outside

Here in East Yorkshire I would plant them out early/mid May

Trevor

---

Old 09-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Paul England

On 9th Feb 2003, Alan Gould wrote

Wait for 2 to 3 weeks. Even if you manage to get some seeds to germinate,
the seedlings will not want to be put out until mid-March at least. Be
prepared to do a second sowing too in case the earlier ones are caught out
by late frosts. By midsummer, the later sowings will have
caught up with the earlier ones anyway - so try to be patient.
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Paul
England writes
Your main problem will be what to do with the seeds when they *have*

germinated. At this time of year they'll not be getting a lot of light, and
if they have to stay too long in the propagator before going outside, then
they're going to get leggy and spindly.

Where I am (Yorkshire), french and runner beans won't be planted out

till June, so sowing now would be way too early, and the bulk of outside
sowings would happen in May, so if I were to start them indoors I'd
start in April Meanwhile, you could be sowing broad beans in your

allotment!
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

Thanks Alan and Kay for your kind posts advising patience for several weeks.
The immediate priority must be the allotment, although 8 yrs of nettles have
been cleared, it needs to be dug and de-rooted.
Meanwhile, if weather threatens, I can do the 50 yds dash to the garage and
stick on some more varnish.
Oh and thanks Kay, for the reminder to get broadbeans
Regards .......... Paul

Old 10-02-2003, 06:26 AM
Alan Gould

In article , Paul
England writes
Oh and thanks Kay, for the reminder to get broadbeans

Yes, start broad beans now by all means, but you'll have better results
if you sow the seed singly in polypots to germinate under cover. Then
you can plant them out when the seedlings have their first pair of true
leaves - and the weather is just a bit kinder.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Trevor Appleton
writes
Where I am (Yorkshire), french and runner beans won't be planted out
till June, so sowing now would be way too early, and the bulk of outside

Here in East Yorkshire I would plant them out early/mid May

Were I to do that, they'd all be pole-axed by the 5th June frost!

min/max temps Phil L United Kingdom 1 08-03-2005 05:56 AM
Min & Max temps to chit spuds? keith ;-\) United Kingdom 4 17-02-2005 09:11 PM
Propagator temps Mark Allison United Kingdom 8 06-04-2004 10:40 PM
Propagator temps (CORRECTION) Mark Allison United Kingdom 0 06-04-2004 09:50 PM
Propagator temps Mark Allison United Kingdom 0 06-04-2004 09:49 PM