Old 08-12-2005, 09:45 PM
sockiescat sockiescat is offline
Registered User

Smile

Kay Lancaster On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 09:47:44 -0600, Donald Gares wrote:
I guess we still don't understand what the difference is between them
being cold (frozen) in an unheated building and being frozen in the ground.

Air temp does not equal ground temp... there's a big thermal flywheel effect,
and soil temps are much more moderate than ground temps. So bulbs in the soil
outside don't freeze completely. Bulbs in a pot of soil, with the pot not
insulated, will freeze because there's less thermal mass.

the other thing that u can do if u are really stuck and cannot dig your ground is build a wooden box and place it in a more sheltered location, lay the bulbs on top of the ground then cover them with a thick layer say 6 to 8 inches of potting soil. then u should also cover them with a layer of leaves or mulch. then in spring time replant them. hope this helps u.
good luck, sockiescat.