Old 09-12-2005, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

Default dessert qualities?

"simy1" expounded:

Even organic Red Delicious are vastly inferior when compared to, say, a
Spigold, or a Lucky Jon, or a Northern Spy, or even a Golden Delicious.
Winesaps and various other types also taste better. At least in
Michigan. In regard to cooking, shape is not everything. Cortland
apples become mush when cooked, but their flavor is unsurpassed.

That may be true, but we weren't discussing other apple flavors, we
were discussing the Red Delicious. I don't usually buy them, and I'm
not about to start making a special point to buy them based on this
one good one I've had in 40 years of apple eating. There are lots of
other apples I prefer.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts