Old 07-12-2005, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default dessert qualities?

I was looking up strawberries and apples on the web, and many varieties
were described as having excellent dessert qualities. Wines are
sometimes described that way too. What are "dessert qualities"?

Old 07-12-2005, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was looking up strawberries and apples on the web, and many
varieties
were described as having excellent dessert qualities. Wines are
sometimes described that way too. What are "dessert qualities"?

That means they make good after meal deserts, like APPLE PIE &
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE! :-)

Tom J
who likes both!!

Old 07-12-2005, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

"Tom J" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was looking up strawberries and apples on the web, and many varieties
were described as having excellent dessert qualities. Wines are
sometimes described that way too. What are "dessert qualities"?

That means they make good after meal deserts, like APPLE PIE & STRAWBERRY
SHORTCAKE! :-)

Tom J
who likes both!!

IOW: sweet.

Old 07-12-2005, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was looking up strawberries and apples on the web, and many varieties
were described as having excellent dessert qualities. Wines are
sometimes described that way too. What are "dessert qualities"?

That means they make good after meal deserts, like APPLE PIE &

STRAWBERRY
SHORTCAKE! :-)

Tom J
who likes both!!

IOW: sweet.

Sweet apples don't necessarily make good cooking apples.

Old 07-12-2005, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies" wrote in
message

"Tom J" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was looking up strawberries and apples on the web, and many
varieties
were described as having excellent dessert qualities. Wines are
sometimes described that way too. What are "dessert qualities"?

That means they make good after meal deserts, like APPLE PIE &

STRAWBERRY
SHORTCAKE! :-)

Tom J
who likes both!!

IOW: sweet.

Sweet apples don't necessarily make good cooking apples.

You notice I didn't say SWEET!! :-)

Tom J
who knows a Granny Smith is better for baked or stewed apples

Old 07-12-2005, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies" wrote in message

"Tom J" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I was looking up strawberries and apples on the web, and many varieties
were described as having excellent dessert qualities. Wines are
sometimes described that way too. What are "dessert qualities"?

That means they make good after meal deserts, like APPLE PIE &

STRAWBERRY
SHORTCAKE! :-)

Tom J
who likes both!!

IOW: sweet.

Sweet apples don't necessarily make good cooking apples.

Didn't say they did. However, when something is promoted as having "dessert
qualities" they don't mean mouth pukering sour.

Old 08-12-2005, 12:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
nunya

dessert quality means eating it fresh, and not cooked usually, and
usually sweeter. like a granny smith is considered a cooking apple as
it is tart and hold shape when cooked and gives better flavor after
cooked. a red deliscious is a dessert apple as it has a sweeter
flavor., if you try to cook w/ it it just turns to mush and lacks any
flavor after cooked. some apples are good either way like a windsap.
with things like strawverries they usally have a sweet flavor w/ a
strong strawberry taste and usually have a larger size. my favorite of
this is honeyeo.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

wrote:

I was looking up strawberries and apples on the web, and many
varieties were described as having excellent dessert
qualities. Wines are sometimes described that way too. What
are "dessert
qualities"?

The last time I ate a Red Delicious apple it was tasteless. They
have been bred for the red color and damn the taste.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 08-12-2005, 10:23 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

"Travis M." expounded:

The last time I ate a Red Delicious apple it was tasteless. They
have been bred for the red color and damn the taste.

I have had so many tasteless, mealy Red Delicious apples I've pretty
much given up on them - until I bought a mixed bag of organic apples
from the health food store last week. I brought one to work and was
amazed when I bit into it. It was juicy, sweet, firm fleshed, and
just plain wonderful. Hopefully the other two that were in the bag
are as good.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 08-12-2005, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
simy1

Even organic Red Delicious are vastly inferior when compared to, say, a
Spigold, or a Lucky Jon, or a Northern Spy, or even a Golden Delicious.
Winesaps and various other types also taste better. At least in
Michigan. In regard to cooking, shape is not everything. Cortland
apples become mush when cooked, but their flavor is unsurpassed.

Old 09-12-2005, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann

"simy1" expounded:

Even organic Red Delicious are vastly inferior when compared to, say, a
Spigold, or a Lucky Jon, or a Northern Spy, or even a Golden Delicious.
Winesaps and various other types also taste better. At least in
Michigan. In regard to cooking, shape is not everything. Cortland
apples become mush when cooked, but their flavor is unsurpassed.

That may be true, but we weren't discussing other apple flavors, we
were discussing the Red Delicious. I don't usually buy them, and I'm
not about to start making a special point to buy them based on this
one good one I've had in 40 years of apple eating. There are lots of
other apples I prefer.