Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar

Default Best tiller?

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:47:13 -0500, wrote:

(Charles Quinn) wrote:

In article .com, "milwaukeeblues" wrote:
Anybody have any recommendations as to the best medium-priced tiller
for the money?

Best and medium priced? Either buy the best - troy built or get something
less.

Unfortunately, that no longer applies. Troy-Bilt used to be one of the
best North American made tillers but they went belly up. Current
production Troy-Bilt equipment, including tillers, is just more
inferior quality MTD.
One of my local Troy-Bilt dealers made the comment that even MTD's
advertising literature is now lighter than Troy-Bilt's used to be.
I've had a Troy-Bilt 8HP Horse for the last 14 years and it still runs
like the day I brought it home. I don't foresee any need to replace it
in my lifetime but, if I did, it wouldn't be with an MTD product.
A Grillo 107 or a BCS 732 would be my choice.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Just to be fair, you can get a lemon or a delight in any brand. I had
a Troy-Bilt that was purchased before the company went under...it
lasted exactly 2 seasons then seized up & croaked. It was quite a
small one. I used it for beds. It bucked like a bronco.

I replaced it recently with an electric one from Remington and I have
been happy with that. You can't do the north 40 with something like
that, but it serves its purpose well.

Boron