Old 07-12-2005, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
milwaukeeblues

Default Best tiller?

Anybody have any recommendations as to the best medium-priced tiller
for the money?

Old 07-12-2005, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Calvin

milwaukeeblues wrote:
Anybody have any recommendations as to the best medium-priced tiller
for the money?

posting problems with google? (just curious about the 3 posts).

As for the tiller. How big of an area are you working with?
What kind of initial soil?

--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
milwaukeeblues wrote:
Anybody have any recommendations as to the best medium-priced tiller
for the money?

posting problems with google? (just curious about the 3 posts).

As for the tiller. How big of an area are you working with?
What kind of initial soil?

Small gardens can be turned with a stout potato fork. Tillers are oft used
to keep the area btwn rows clean of weed, but if you keep a mowable
grass-strip between 4' beds, you can save yourself a lot of work.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Charles Quinn

In article .com, "milwaukeeblues" wrote:
Anybody have any recommendations as to the best medium-priced tiller
for the money?

Best and medium priced? Either buy the best - troy built or get something
less.

It really depends on your soil type and the area you are talking about. Use
the guide below to figure out what type of tiller you need and then search on
price since that seems to be your driver.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio.../tiller.html#2

Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:47:13 -0500, wrote:

(Charles Quinn) wrote:

In article .com, "milwaukeeblues" wrote:
Anybody have any recommendations as to the best medium-priced tiller
for the money?

Best and medium priced? Either buy the best - troy built or get something
less.

Unfortunately, that no longer applies. Troy-Bilt used to be one of the
best North American made tillers but they went belly up. Current
production Troy-Bilt equipment, including tillers, is just more
inferior quality MTD.
One of my local Troy-Bilt dealers made the comment that even MTD's
advertising literature is now lighter than Troy-Bilt's used to be.
I've had a Troy-Bilt 8HP Horse for the last 14 years and it still runs
like the day I brought it home. I don't foresee any need to replace it
in my lifetime but, if I did, it wouldn't be with an MTD product.
A Grillo 107 or a BCS 732 would be my choice.

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.

Just to be fair, you can get a lemon or a delight in any brand. I had
a Troy-Bilt that was purchased before the company went under...it
lasted exactly 2 seasons then seized up & croaked. It was quite a
small one. I used it for beds. It bucked like a bronco.

I replaced it recently with an electric one from Remington and I have
been happy with that. You can't do the north 40 with something like
that, but it serves its purpose well.

Boron