Old 10-12-2005, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

Default Plants die toooo fast

"Leloo" wrote in message
u...
My fish last longer than my plants. Come on, i managed to replace all of
my
plants (not that many, because they all die so fast) five times before a
single Neon died. I put in plant food refularly, give them about 12 hours
of
light a day, and put in fertilizer tablets every month. Cant see what is
wrong, ive tried several fish stores, but the plants end up the same -
dead.
I have an Angelfish and a few neons (now 4) in the thank, and they dont
seem
to be eathing the plants or anything like that.

I think my green thumb washed off when i was puting the plants in the
water...

====================
There can be several reason they're dying so fast. The stores are selling
houseplants as aquarium plants again. These are doomed and the practice
should be illegal. Make sure you KNOW what you're buying and that it's a
plant that is a true underwater plant.
PH is also important. Some plants will not live in acid or in alkaline
water. Know their PH requirements BEFORE you buy them. An example is water
sprite grew like crazy when I lived where the PH was 6.8. Where I live now
it's always over 7.5 and the water sprite dies in a few weeks.
You may think you're giving them enough light but the plants may need much
BRIGHTER light than you're providing. Google aquarium plants for many, many
websites covering them.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: