Old 11-12-2005, 06:41 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mud

Default Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside?

"Michael Shaffer" wrote in message
news2_mf.8618$fz5.6774@dukeread04...
Mud wrote:
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside
my house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week,
pinching off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far
although not seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to
winter over inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

If you put a fluorescent light over them with some tinfoil on the sides
they will grow very well. I did that last summer and I had to throw a lot
of them away.

Thanks for the tip... I don't have a fluorescent lamp handy but I do have a
"grow lamp"... do you think that would work about as good?