Old 11-12-2005, 10:22 PM posted to rec.ponds
Mud

Default Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside?

"Koi-lo" wrote in message

"Mud" wrote in message
m...
I am trying to save a few of my water hyacinths and water lettuce inside
my house in buckets of water. I am changing the water out each week,
pinching off any dead leaves/pieces and they're staying alive so far
although not seeming to grow any. Do they need anything special to winter
over inside...thanks!

I live in Zone 7A, North Carolina.

==============================
I'm in zone 6 TN and keep water lettuce over easily. I keep them in pans
of water or an old fishtank by south facing windows (or in a fishtank with
my goldfish). They must be FERTILIZED every few weeks or they'll die out
(or they do for me). Water hyacinths are a bit harder to keep alive.
Make sure they don't have "mites or aphids" before you bring them in.
They also need a sunny window, fertilizer regularly and do better with
moving water. You can achieve that with a cheap airpump and airstone.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:

Thanks, I've got them next to an afternoon sunny window but the windows are
energy efficient, heat mirror windows, so I don't know how much good that's
doing them. I am adding a small amount of Schultz liquid plant fertilizer,
along with a beer cap full of muriate of potash, mixed up with 1 gallon of
water, divided equally among the small buckets. They are doing good so far,
although small in size. I'm using three buckets so I don't want to buy 3
air stones but then again, I'll check into it. Thanks so much for helping.