Old 12-12-2005, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
bthache

Default Morden roses

Hello,

I'm new to this group and also new to rose bushes. This past summer, we
planted 4 Morden super winter hardy rose bushes and they did phenomenally
well. Two of them easily tripled in size from July to October and the other
two easily doubled in the same time period. And boy, did they all bloom!
It was a fabulous show. It was finally the cold, snow and heavy frost that
stopped them in late October. I never dreamed roses would bloom that late
into the autumn. The last of the buds are now frozen in place for the
winter.

We mulched the roots with cedar bark mulch for the winter but otherwise, did
nothing else to winterize them. I've never had rose bushes before so really
had no idea, aside from the mulch, what to do. I've got my fingers crossed
that they handle our severe winters alright.

What I'm wondering is what to do in the spring. Do I prune them? Do I
leave them alone to do their own thing? Have we made a mistake by not
covering them? (They are now buried in snow anyway... nature's own
insulation).

Here's one of my flowers from the summer.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...06070862IPYFin

Thanks for any advice.

--
Tammie - Northern Ontario, Canada