Old 14-12-2005, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

Default Advice, please: D. laevifolium

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 15:05:31 -0800, tbell wrote:

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:32:52 -0800, Dave Gillingham wrote
(in article ):

Tom, Garland, let me quote from one of my bibles - "Dendrobium and its
Relatives" by Lavarack, Harris & Stocker. All three are highly

experienced &
qualified, & their work involves them in the orchids of the region from

which

laevifolium comes.

"... occurs in several islands to the east of New Guinea ... It grows

from
about
300 m to 2300 m altitude, in damp moss forests where it often occurs

low down

on
tree trunks ... While this species can be grown in warm conditions,

cool to
intermediate temperatures are preferable. It can be grown on a slab,

but a
pot
of well-drained mixture is best, as the plants must not be allowed to

dry
out.
Year round heavy watering and shaded conditions with high humidity are
necessary."

It does *not* need to be dried out, & (depending on how cold your

winters
are)
do no more than reduce fertilising& watering in the colder months.

I have a plant that I was growing successfully in sphagnum in a saucer.

Since
nearly all my collection is in bark & this was watered in summer with

the
rest,
it was *sodden*. And it did fine. Kept the sphagnum at least damp

through
the
winter. I've worried about that, & recently repotted into bark in the
saucer.
Not sure if I did the right thing.

Forgive me for climbing on to a hobby horse for a moment: Dendrobes

come
from
such an incredible range of environments (hot wet steamy jungles,

Aussie
monsoon
areas with hot *dry* weather for 9 months - no winter, up to China,

into the
Himalayan foothills, evergreen forests, deciduous forests) that the old

mantra
of "water in the growing season, dry out in the resting period" can

well be
disastrous for a plant, depending on where it comes from. You *must*

know a
species' natural environment, and at least get somewhere near that.

They are
adaptable to a degree - I have tropical phalaenanthes growing within

metres
of
temperate dendrocorynes, with the only considerations I can modify

being
light &
watering. But you still need to be aware of their preferred

environment.
Use a
library - you only need to look it up once for each species.

Complex hybrids? Ask someone who grows them, or guess from their

constituent
species.

Here endeth the sermon for today :-)

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 11:25:34 -0800, tbell wrote:

Thank you, Dave. That was a much better than average sermon!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

And closing the file is so much easier than getting up & walking out of

the
church :-)
Dave Gillingham

----

Dave,did you find out what the dendrobium is ref den chrysotoxum or is it?
Thanks Keith