Old 15-12-2005, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Anyone managed to grow Hovenia dulcis?

"birdieb" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone suceeded in propagating Hovenia dulcis from seeds? How did
you manage to grow them? I live near Grenoble in the French Alps. Do
you think I could grow them in a (big enough) pot?

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer this.

Sincerely,
Alexandra C

No, I have no experience of this but I found this info for you which is a
starting point.

Seed - germinates freely if sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame[200].
Stored seed should be scarified and sown in early spring[113], it may not
germinate for a year. Prick out the seedlings into individual pots when
large enough to handle and grow on for at least their first winter in a
greenhouse. Plant out in late spring after the last expected frosts and give
some winter protection for their first couple of years outdoors.