Old 16-12-2005, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
keith ;-\)

Default Advice, please: D. laevifolium

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 21:06:56 GMT, "keith ;-\)"

wrote:

"Dave Gillingham" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:56:22 GMT, "keith ;-\)"
wrote:
[big snip]

Dave,did you find out what the dendrobium is ref den chrysotoxum or is

it?
Thanks Keith

Keith, thanks for the interest. One of the members of our society, who

is
involved with orchids in the herbarium & has a special interest in the
Dendrobes, suggested D. gibsonii. That's from Section Dendrobium,

which
surprises me a little having read up on it after last Tuesday's

meeting.
My
plant's inflorescence started life in a sheath some 50 mm (2 inches) or

more
long. In my admittedly very limited experience, plants from that

section
all
form individual buds rather than the inflorescence bursting from a

sheath.
But
I did mention the sheath to him, & his knowledge is certainly far

superior
mine.
Dave Gillingham

-
----

Hi Dave, have you seen my post to you on ABPO?
I suggested it looked like den fimbriatum var oculatum?
Thanks Keith

Keith, same reservation since it also is from Section Dendrobium - how

does the
inflorescence on fimbriatum var occulatum initiate? Do the buds form from

the
start on a raceme, or is there a sheath formed from which the buds emerge

after
several weeks?
Dave Gillingham

----

Dave,Im not totally sure,mine at the moment has 1/4 inch nodes which I
assume the buds will emerge to form the inflorescence.
Cheers Keith