Old 17-12-2005, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
dohc46

Default Hybrid Tea & pruning

In Ohio after my Butterfly bushes & Hybrid Teas "died" for the season.
I went out with my pruner and started cutting my Butterfly bushes back
to about a foot which I believe is OK since I did it the year before
with excellent results ("new" full bush came from the ground); however
without thinking "doing the research first" I went to my (4) hybrid
teas and did the same (chop, chop, chop)....so now there is "only" 1
foot canes coming from the plant....instead of the normal summer time
4-5 foot canes. (Unlike the butterfly bushes, this was the first season
for the tea roses; therefore I don't have a reference if I should have
pruned).
Was I supposed to have left the canes alone (the flowers grow from
these canes); or are they like the butterfly bush (new canes will raise
from the ground).