Old 17-12-2005, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
dohc46

Default Hybrid Tea & pruning

In Ohio after my Butterfly bushes & Hybrid Teas "died" for the season.
I went out with my pruner and started cutting my Butterfly bushes back
to about a foot which I believe is OK since I did it the year before
with excellent results ("new" full bush came from the ground); however
without thinking "doing the research first" I went to my (4) hybrid
teas and did the same (chop, chop, chop)....so now there is "only" 1
foot canes coming from the plant....instead of the normal summer time
4-5 foot canes. (Unlike the butterfly bushes, this was the first season
for the tea roses; therefore I don't have a reference if I should have
pruned).
Was I supposed to have left the canes alone (the flowers grow from
these canes); or are they like the butterfly bush (new canes will raise
from the ground).

Old 17-12-2005, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"dohc46" wrote in message
oups.com...
In Ohio after my Butterfly bushes & Hybrid Teas "died" for the season.
I went out with my pruner and started cutting my Butterfly bushes back
to about a foot which I believe is OK since I did it the year before
with excellent results ("new" full bush came from the ground);

I have two Butterfly bushes, one large, one smallish.
I've not pruned them but probably should. Thanks for
the reminder.

however
without thinking "doing the research first" I went to my (4) hybrid
teas and did the same (chop, chop, chop)....so now there is "only" 1
foot canes coming from the plant....instead of the normal summer time
4-5 foot canes. (Unlike the butterfly bushes, this was the first season
for the tea roses; therefore I don't have a reference if I should have
pruned).

There is a real difference between "hybrid tea" and
"tea" roses. If you have Hybrid Teas, refer to them
as such, and don't shorten it to Tea, because that's
a different rose!

There are different schools of thought about
pruning. I tend to do more moderate pruning
but cutting back as far as you did is another
method. I would recommend reading up on
pruning at the ARS site www.ars.org . Many
of the article writers are from your general
area.

There are also pruning variations due to the kind
of rose, for example, climber vs bush rose,
modern vs old garden rose. It would be a
good idea to read up on roses, either online
or some beginning book like Ortho's "All
About Roses".

Was I supposed to have left the canes alone (the flowers grow from
these canes); or are they like the butterfly bush (new canes will raise
from the ground).

Are your roses grafted or on their own roots?
If grafted, you shouldn't be pruning *below*
the bud union since that kills the desired rose.
It sounds like you pruned above the bud union
so you should be ok. New canes will come
from the top of the bud union. If canes are
growing from below the bud union, they should
be pruned at their base.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

How to plant a Hybrid Tea Rose tedders United Kingdom 1 25-04-2006 05:29 PM
Hybrid Tea Indoors? Blah Roses 19 19-07-2005 01:09 PM
looking for Princess Diana hybrid tea Ed Lucarini Roses 0 05-05-2003 03:56 AM
3 Peace Hybrid Tea for £3.49 - good deal? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 0 27-04-2003 01:56 PM
Looking For *Smoky* Hybrid Tea Rose KarenS6556 Roses 2 27-02-2003 09:07 PM