Old 17-12-2005, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Wintering over my mini roses

"Mercy" wrote in message

I live in London, England, and I was wondering what my mini rose should
be doing over the winter. Unlike yours, mine lives indoors - I fully
intended to put it outside, but kids and a football made me bring it
inside, and it seemed to do so well I neevr put it out again.

It's been doing really well inside (bar an attack of spider mites, but
it had a glorious rennaissance and bloomed again, huzzah!) - the leaves
have mostly fallen off but new ones are growing. How long will it keep
doing this? Is it anything to do with keeping it inside? And should I
actually put it outside - if so, when? I guess that has to be done
slowly so it doesn't alarm the plant.

Any advice appreciated.

Mercy

Roses don't tend to do well inside. I would put
yours out on any pleasant (not below freezing)
day. Since it's not mid-summer the rose won't
get the full sun and should do ok in moderate
winter sun. By spring it should be fine to leave
outside all the time.

If it goes dormant outside (no new growth), that's
fine. It's what my in-ground minis go through every
winter except for mild winters when they keep
putting out leaves.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA