Old 17-11-2005, 10:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Diane M.

Default Wintering over my mini roses

I live in upstate New York and by now we usually have snow and a couple of
killing frosts. Well, it has been a mild fall so far and my minis are in
full bloom. They seem to be thriving. They almost seem to like these temps
better that the heat of the summer!

I am not sure what to do about hibernation for the winter. They are in pots
and I had planned to bring them in to the garage to store them. Should I
just bring them inside now and store them. Is there something I should do to
force them to hibernate? Or, should I just let them be as long as they look
good?

I have not owned minis before, so any help is appreciated. I certainly want
to have these little beauties for next year. Thanks.

D.

Old 17-11-2005, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Diane M." wrote in message
I live in upstate New York and by now we usually have snow and a couple of
killing frosts. Well, it has been a mild fall so far and my minis are in
full bloom. They seem to be thriving. They almost seem to like these temps
better that the heat of the summer!

I am not sure what to do about hibernation for the winter. They are in
pots and I had planned to bring them in to the garage to store them.
Should I just bring them inside now and store them. Is there something I
should do to force them to hibernate? Or, should I just let them be as
long as they look good?

I have not owned minis before, so any help is appreciated. I certainly
want to have these little beauties for next year. Thanks.

D.

My roses (all sizes) also prefer the cooler temps
to hot summer.

I think it's a good idea to bring any potted roses
inside (garage or shed) once temps are
consistently low but it doesn't sound like you're
at that point yet.

Minis are generally hardier than their larger
cousins so they will probably be ok until you
get a hard freeze.

I wouldn't recommend forcing hibernation
(by pulling off all the leaves).

One source for information can be found in the
Articles archives of the American Rose Society.
Those are public; you don't have to be a member
to access them. www.ars.org

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 17-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Registered User

Location: London
Question

I live in London, England, and I was wondering what my mini rose should be doing over the winter. Unlike yours, mine lives indoors - I fully intended to put it outside, but kids and a football made me bring it inside, and it seemed to do so well I neevr put it out again.

It's been doing really well inside (bar an attack of spider mites, but it had a glorious rennaissance and bloomed again, huzzah!) - the leaves have mostly fallen off but new ones are growing. How long will it keep doing this? Is it anything to do with keeping it inside? And should I actually put it outside - if so, when? I guess that has to be done slowly so it doesn't alarm the plant.

Any advice appreciated.

Mercy
Old 17-12-2005, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Mercy" wrote in message

I live in London, England, and I was wondering what my mini rose should
be doing over the winter. Unlike yours, mine lives indoors - I fully
intended to put it outside, but kids and a football made me bring it
inside, and it seemed to do so well I neevr put it out again.

It's been doing really well inside (bar an attack of spider mites, but
it had a glorious rennaissance and bloomed again, huzzah!) - the leaves
have mostly fallen off but new ones are growing. How long will it keep
doing this? Is it anything to do with keeping it inside? And should I
actually put it outside - if so, when? I guess that has to be done
slowly so it doesn't alarm the plant.

Any advice appreciated.

Mercy

Roses don't tend to do well inside. I would put
yours out on any pleasant (not below freezing)
day. Since it's not mid-summer the rose won't
get the full sun and should do ok in moderate
winter sun. By spring it should be fine to leave
outside all the time.

If it goes dormant outside (no new growth), that's
fine. It's what my in-ground minis go through every
winter except for mild winters when they keep
putting out leaves.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA

Spider mites, over and over and over Jonathan Sachs[_2_] Gardening 9 09-08-2007 04:37 AM
over-wintering floaters and little bugs J. LaQuiere Ponds 12 14-02-2004 07:17 AM
Wintering over shallow ponds NJ Ponds 3 31-08-2003 11:02 PM
wintering over potatoes Rob Dougan Gardening 4 18-08-2003 06:43 PM
Wintering over [was Herbs? ] Texensis Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:09 AM