Old 18-12-2005, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Anthony B

Default Question about bulbs

first caution

Storing the bulbs in the veggie bin of the refridgerator is a BAD idea if
one keeps onions and or garlic in there as well... the sulphur compounds
emitted by the onions/garlics will infiltrate the bulbs and kill off the
plantlets inside of them.

Second caution... reifridgerating bulbs then placing them out in the spring
is called forcing and can cause many bulbs to survive but a single season.

Best to do is to store them away in a dark, cool , but not freezing
location. there are many ways to do this, from storing them in dry peatmoss
to hanging them up in pantyhose.

they should keep till warmer weather

Virgo91967

"de Fragile Warrior Sports Supplies" wrote in message
Call Brecks and ask them. They should know. It probably happens to lots
of folks.

Alternately, I heard the vegetable drawer in the 'fridge is a good place
to keep them.

"Donald Gares" wrote in message
Ok, we purchased a bunch of tulips and daffodils from Brecks and then
never got them planted this fall. We are in zone 5 (extreme SE Iowa)
where it is currently 6 degrees F and falling with approximately 4 inches
of snow on the ground so they are not going in the earth until next
spring.

Now what the heck do we do with them over the winter so that we can plant
them VERY early next spring and still have them bloom? we do have a small
unheated garden building that we could store them in.....wouldn'd that be
the same as having them in the cold earth? Of course we could put them in
our shop which is normally heated to about 50 degrees F. What do you all
recommend?

Thanks a bunch,

Don & Rhonda