Old 19-12-2005, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dwayne

Default Blueberry plant

Lynn is correct, but I would like to add the following. I would have my
soil tested before adding anything to it. Blueberries like a pH of about
4.5 - 5.0. They grow in Arkansas at 6.0. They grow wild in Alaska and
Northern Michigan. In my yard here in NW Kansas the soil is nearly neutral
(6.9 - 7.2). Once you find out what your is, you will have a place to
start.

They sell azalea additive for dropping the pH. Hopefully yours will already
be a pH of 6 or lower and you wont have to do that much.

Dwayne

"Farmer Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
HI and Merry Christmas to all!!

I got a small Blueberry plant from a garden center that was closing in
Sept. Its in a 6" pot and it was about a foot tall with a few berries
on it when I got it. I live on the line between 5-6 St Louis area
and I know I need to acidify (is that the right word??) the soil so I
got some aluminum sulfate but I never did anything with this guy.
Should I plant it now or WHEN???
The temp around here now is about 25 F. Educate Me thanks Joe Mc