Old 19-12-2005, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
DK1000

Default need help on "rooting" a plant in water

Thanks all for the advice. I just took Father Haskell's hint and threw in
about a half of one of those 81 mg "healthy heart" aspirins into the water
(a clear 16 oz beer mug), as well as recut the stems on the bottom. I seen
nothing at all coming off the bottom. I remember I have a little bottle of
this liquid that you're supposed to put on the roots when transplanting
plants into the ground in the spring. Is that the stuff you mentioned that
has IBA, etc? Should I throw in a couple of drops? Will part of one of those
Miracle Grow plant food spikes in the water (or even Miracle Grow powder)
help with/instead of the other stuff? Thanks again.

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
oups.com...

Bill B wrote:
You sure could, but not with water. With root-tone you would use a
planter mix so the hormone would stay in contact with the rooting
portion of the cutting.

Transplant solutions contain IBA, IAA -- same stuff as in Rootone, but
in liquid
form -- along with vitamin B6, which might or might not be helpful.

As for willow water, if suitable donor willows are unavailable, try
plain old
aspirin, about 1 baby aspirin per quart of water. The active component
in WW is
really nothing more than salicylic acid. Function is to keep the
wounded xylem
from sealing over, keeping the cutting's circulation flowing.

Michelle wrote:
i'm not to familuar with the plant in question but i wonder if you
could use a root hne like root tone iI use it on my cacti with great
success i can make a new plant out of just about any piece of a cacti
family member.
i'm just wondering
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:00:14 -0600, Bill B