Old 17-12-2005, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
DK1000

Default need help on "rooting" a plant in water

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. I have a new Japanese Honeysuckle the was planted
outdoors last May. About 3 to 4 weeks ago, when the weather was starting to
get below freezing, I decided to cut a couple of branches off and try to
"root" them in a glass of water. I read you leave some leaves on, but they
fell off within a week. I tried to slice the bottom of the stem segments,
which is where I figured the roots would start. What I have after 3 weeks,
is some kind of growth coming out the pieces of branch, perhaps where the
leaves were (?). I see nothing coming out of the bottom that looks
"rootish". Can I somehow use these growths to start new plants? I want to
grow then indoors, by a sunny window, at least for the time being (winter).
If I can use them, how do I plant them? Here are two pics of them I took
about 5 days ago, the growths still look healthy, but I don't want to wait
too long if now is the right time to plant them. Or should I wait yet?

http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/hs1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/dannykewl3/hs2.jpg

Thanks much in advance for any advice, as I never really worked with plants
much.

Old 17-12-2005, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Rooting cutting of Japanese honeysuckle in the middle of winter? What a
ingenious thing to do!!!

I'm sure there are many here who can fill you in on how to do the secret
fertility dance!!!!

In the cold of winter is the best time to perform this all-important
ritual!!!!!!

Old 18-12-2005, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Michelle

i'm not to familuar with the plant in question but i wonder if you
could use a root hne like root tone iI use it on my cacti with great
success i can make a new plant out of just about any piece of a cacti
family member.
i'm just wondering
On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:00:14 -0600, Bill B
wrote:

DK1000 wrote:
[...]

They are leaves---when you brought the cuttings indoors, where it is
warm, they thought it was the beginning of Spring and started sprouting.
However, they are growing on the stored-up nutrients in the stem and
not drawing any from a rooting system. Unless these cuttings start
putting out whitish hair-like growths from the bottom of their stems
they will fail to survive. Planting them in the ground or a potting
medium will not change things---you have to get the roots started. If
you have any kind of willow bush or tree growing around your area you
can cut some of their small twigs into short pieces and put them into
the water. The willow has a hormone in its bark that will stimulate your
cuttings into putting out roots.

Old 19-12-2005, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bill B

You sure could, but not with water. With root-tone you would use a
planter mix so the hormone would stay in contact with the rooting
portion of the cutting.

Old 19-12-2005, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell

Bill B wrote:
You sure could, but not with water. With root-tone you would use a
planter mix so the hormone would stay in contact with the rooting
portion of the cutting.

Transplant solutions contain IBA, IAA -- same stuff as in Rootone, but
in liquid
form -- along with vitamin B6, which might or might not be helpful.

As for willow water, if suitable donor willows are unavailable, try
plain old
aspirin, about 1 baby aspirin per quart of water. The active component
in WW is
really nothing more than salicylic acid. Function is to keep the
wounded xylem
from sealing over, keeping the cutting's circulation flowing.

Old 19-12-2005, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
DK1000

Thanks all for the advice. I just took Father Haskell's hint and threw in
about a half of one of those 81 mg "healthy heart" aspirins into the water
(a clear 16 oz beer mug), as well as recut the stems on the bottom. I seen
nothing at all coming off the bottom. I remember I have a little bottle of
this liquid that you're supposed to put on the roots when transplanting
plants into the ground in the spring. Is that the stuff you mentioned that
has IBA, etc? Should I throw in a couple of drops? Will part of one of those
Miracle Grow plant food spikes in the water (or even Miracle Grow powder)
help with/instead of the other stuff? Thanks again.

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
oups.com...