Old 21-12-2005, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sla#s

Default Alternatives to "Seal & Heal" for bark damage

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Are there any reasonably priced alternatives to Arbrex Seal and

Heal
for painting on damaged bark etc.?

SNIP

There's a school of thought which holds that a wound dressing may
simply seal in any nasties which have already floated in. I have no
opinion on that, myself; but perhaps you could simply use engineering
grease.

I was going to mention that and in addition say I was told to rub earth from
the base of the tree into the wound.
Something to do with letting "stuff wot the tree is use to" getting in and
colonising the wound before anything more harmful.

Slatts