Old 26-12-2005, 02:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

Default Raspberry questions from a gardening rookie...

"Mark Karjaluoto" wrote:

I'm wondering: can I plant the seeds removed from raspberries for producing
new vines? Any recommendations on how to do so in terms of soil, plant food,
etc?

My experience is with cultivated red summerbearing raspberries but I
think it applies to all varieties. They produce on last years canes.
Hence each fall I would prune out most of the old canes and just leave
the new canes that had come up that year. There were plenty of new
canes. I would transplant those that came up outside the row into new
rows. There was no shortage of such new plants.

I have never heard of anyone getting viable plants from seeds. Hybrid
plants such as the ones sold in garden centers will not give plants that
are true to the parent plant They are propagated from suckers or tip
layers. The native wild raspberries may give viable seed, but again
suckers and cuttings are much easier to use.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman