Old 26-12-2005, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Default Raspberry questions from a gardening rookie...

Mark Karjaluoto wrote:
Hello (and happy holidays):

I have an awesome set of raspberry bushes on my property in Prince George,
British Columbia. The provided a haul of nearly 40 litres last summer.

These days, I have plenty of leftover seeds from the berries when I puree
them for recipes such as sorbet and then strain the juice to remove the
seeds.

I'm wondering: can I plant the seeds removed from raspberries for producing
new vines? Any recommendations on how to do so in terms of soil, plant food,
etc?

Thanks...

Mark Karjaluoto

You don't need to seed any new canes. The opnes you have will spread.

This is what works for us (Can. Zone 4):

Cut back this year's fruit-bearing canes. If any new ones have come up,
leave them. Fertilise with a generic fertiliser in the spring (I get
50kg bags from the agricultural co-op). The plants will spread, since
they propagate via runners underground, so in a couple of years or so
you will be pulling/digging them up in places where you don't want them.
If you have dry spells and gravelly or sandy soil that won't hold water,
water well, especially when the canes begin to set fruit.

You had a good crop, so you needn't worry about the soil. I layer on
some leaves on the fall - that's what the canes get in the wild (they
grow in clearings in the forest.) I also spread a thin layer of earth
over them, to assist the composting process.

HTH