Old 28-12-2005, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

Default Sphagnum moss

Yes, Keith. That's what I'm talking about. My 10 Kg bale was about
18"X18"X24"; bone dry, compressed; great stuff! I've seen, and occassionally
purchased, bales of much lower quality for lining baskets. It was darker
colored, more fragmented, and had a lot of sticks and other junk in it. This
stuff is manna from heaven. It's so evenly layered, I can peel off a 3/8"
(1cm) layer to line a basket with dry. It's so much easier to do that way
than when the moss is already wet. Fill the basket, water, then plant when
the moss is expanded.
Gary

"kenty" wrote in message

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
. ..
I just received a bale of Chilean sphagnum and I'm extremely pleased with
it, including the price. It's top quality, blond (light colored) moss and
it cost just $72 for a 10Kg bale. Shipping was only $7 from FL to me in
SC. I use it mostly in clay pots with oncidium intergenerics, cool-growing
miltonias and masdavilleas. It's the only way I've managed to successfully
keep some of these doing well in our summer heat. It's also, of course, a
great basket liner. I've been paying $20+/Kg for individual packages from
well-known orchid suppliers. I don't know the price of their 1Kg package
(or their larger bales), but if you're growing some of your orchids in
moss you owe it to yourself to check out this place. Drop me a note and
I'll be glad to forward the email address, web site, and contact info for
the FL supplier.
Gary
Gary,Have you ever tried the dried bales of sphag moss.You soak what you
want in water it expands & fluffs up ready to use.It is excellent stuff!

Cheers Keith