Old 27-12-2005, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

Default Sphagnum moss

I just received a bale of Chilean sphagnum and I'm extremely pleased with
it, including the price. It's top quality, blond (light colored) moss and it
cost just $72 for a 10Kg bale. Shipping was only $7 from FL to me in SC. I
use it mostly in clay pots with oncidium intergenerics, cool-growing
miltonias and masdavilleas. It's the only way I've managed to successfully
keep some of these doing well in our summer heat. It's also, of course, a
great basket liner. I've been paying $20+/Kg for individual packages from
well-known orchid suppliers. I don't know the price of their 1Kg package (or
their larger bales), but if you're growing some of your orchids in moss you
owe it to yourself to check out this place. Drop me a note and I'll be glad
to forward the email address, web site, and contact info for the FL
supplier.
Gary

Old 27-12-2005, 09:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
kenty;\)

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
. ..
[...]
Gary,Have you ever tried the dried bales of sphag moss.You soak what you
want in water it expands & fluffs up ready to use.It is excellent stuff!

Cheers Keith

Old 28-12-2005, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

Yes, Keith. That's what I'm talking about. My 10 Kg bale was about
18"X18"X24"; bone dry, compressed; great stuff! I've seen, and occassionally
purchased, bales of much lower quality for lining baskets. It was darker
colored, more fragmented, and had a lot of sticks and other junk in it. This
stuff is manna from heaven. It's so evenly layered, I can peel off a 3/8"
(1cm) layer to line a basket with dry. It's so much easier to do that way
than when the moss is already wet. Fill the basket, water, then plant when
the moss is expanded.
Gary

"kenty" wrote in message

. ..

Old 28-12-2005, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

I too, have just received in a shipment of 5-star Chilean sphagnum for my
own use and for resale, and it is far more compressed than I have EVER seen
in the past. A 5 kg bale is about 11" x 12" x 13". I pried off a 1 kg
slab, sprayed it with hot water, and ended up with about three or more cubic
feet of the cleanest, fluffiest stuff I've seen in years.

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
Yes, Keith. That's what I'm talking about. My 10 Kg bale was about
18"X18"X24"; bone dry, compressed; great stuff! I've seen, and
occassionally purchased, bales of much lower quality for lining baskets.
It was darker colored, more fragmented, and had a lot of sticks and other
junk in it. This stuff is manna from heaven. It's so evenly layered, I can
peel off a 3/8" (1cm) layer to line a basket with dry. It's so much easier
to do that way than when the moss is already wet. Fill the basket, water,
then plant when the moss is expanded.
Gary

"kenty" wrote in message

. ..

Old 28-12-2005, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
kenty;\)

You dont need to take much off the bale ,it goes a long way.It is
surprising how much it expands.I love the stuff i wont use anything else
now.More importantly the plants like it too!
Cheers Keith
"Ray" wrote in message
I too, have just received in a shipment of 5-star Chilean sphagnum for my
own use and for resale, and it is far more compressed than I have EVER seen
in the past. A 5 kg bale is about 11" x 12" x 13". I pried off a 1 kg
slab, sprayed it with hot water, and ended up with about three or more
cubic feet of the cleanest, fluffiest stuff I've seen in years.

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
Yes, Keith. That's what I'm talking about. My 10 Kg bale was about
18"X18"X24"; bone dry, compressed; great stuff! I've seen, and
occassionally purchased, bales of much lower quality for lining baskets.
It was darker colored, more fragmented, and had a lot of sticks and other
junk in it. This stuff is manna from heaven. It's so evenly layered, I
can peel off a 3/8" (1cm) layer to line a basket with dry. It's so much
easier to do that way than when the moss is already wet. Fill the basket,
water, then plant when the moss is expanded.
Gary

"kenty" wrote in message

. ..

Old 28-12-2005, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray

Just be sure to replace it frequently - like every six months or so - or it
can become a soppy, root-killing mess.

What's really cool is that if you water it with pure RO, and keep it warm
and bright, spores will germinate and you'll have live moss to play with.
If only there was a way to have live moss and still feed your plants. Live
moss stays naturally airy, so won't every get soppy.

"Ray" wrote in message
I too, have just received in a shipment of 5-star Chilean sphagnum for my
own use and for resale, and it is far more compressed than I have EVER
seen in the past. A 5 kg bale is about 11" x 12" x 13". I pried off a 1
kg slab, sprayed it with hot water, and ended up with about three or more
cubic feet of the cleanest, fluffiest stuff I've seen in years.

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
Yes, Keith. That's what I'm talking about. My 10 Kg bale was about
18"X18"X24"; bone dry, compressed; great stuff! I've seen, and
occassionally purchased, bales of much lower quality for lining baskets.
It was darker colored, more fragmented, and had a lot of sticks and
other junk in it. This stuff is manna from heaven. It's so evenly
layered, I can peel off a 3/8" (1cm) layer to line a basket with dry.
It's so much easier to do that way than when the moss is already wet.
Fill the basket, water, then plant when the moss is expanded.
Gary

"kenty" wrote in message

. ..

Old 28-12-2005, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
V_coerulea

I keep my plants in it for about a year. I mix in a handful of sponge rock
for a 6-7" pot full of moss. Anything needing bigger than a 3" pot is put
into clay with a few peanuts in the bottom. And I douse with Physan every
4-6 weeks. So far I had good luck with that regimen for the things I grow in
moss.
I have grown sphagnum in dishpans in the greenhouse when there's extra
space. Most people who stop in can't believe someone is growing their own
moss in SC. I must admit that it's just for the fun of it as a dishpan might
give you 1 or 2 6-7" pots of moss. But it's pristine, top of the line stuff
you won't find anywhere else. Oh yeah. Venus Fly Traps love it too.
Gary

"Ray" wrote in message
I too, have just received in a shipment of 5-star Chilean sphagnum for my
own use and for resale, and it is far more compressed than I have EVER
seen in the past. A 5 kg bale is about 11" x 12" x 13". I pried off a 1
kg slab, sprayed it with hot water, and ended up with about three or more
cubic feet of the cleanest, fluffiest stuff I've seen in years.

"V_coerulea" wrote in message
.. .
Yes, Keith. That's what I'm talking about. My 10 Kg bale was about
18"X18"X24"; bone dry, compressed; great stuff! I've seen, and
occassionally purchased, bales of much lower quality for lining
baskets. It was darker colored, more fragmented, and had a lot of
sticks and other junk in it. This stuff is manna from heaven. It's so
evenly layered, I can peel off a 3/8" (1cm) layer to line a basket with
dry. It's so much easier to do that way than when the moss is already
wet. Fill the basket, water, then plant when the moss is expanded.
Gary

"kenty" wrote in message

. ..

Old 29-12-2005, 01:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I use peanuts as well, but I use a mixture of crushed peanuts, and
sponge rock to add to the moss, I find that helps a lot!
Where can you get this moss if I might ask
-Eric

Old 29-12-2005, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Where can you get this moss if I might ask
-Eric

Go he www.firstrays.com .

Diana

Ordering Sphagnum Peat Moss Online Šave United Kingdom 3 02-06-2008 11:24 PM
Chilean vs NZ Sphagnum Moss Charles VanDyke Orchids 1 12-10-2006 10:53 PM
Air Layering - sphagnum moss alternative gb United Kingdom 8 06-01-2006 09:51 PM
sphagnum hazard bb Orchids 30 15-11-2003 07:42 PM
Is New Zealand Sphagnum WAS repotting Andrew Orchids 1 24-06-2003 11:56 AM