Old 29-12-2005, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Default Orchid Photos

Dave,

It's haploid x triploid. In every normal swarm (of seed) there is every
possibility... there is every genetic structure, every color including blue
and you would see it if you had enough greenhouse real estate to grow every
seed out. In this particular cross I know I won't get a million seed that
are "sproutable". More likely there will only be a couple hundred out of
the million seed that will actually grow into a plant. My expectations are
quite modest in this particular cross. Five years ago I managed to cross
Aranka Germaske with AC Burrage and there were only a few hundred sprouts in
the mother flask, but they grew out very well and strong.

Mick Fournier
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

"Dave S" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mick,

Love those big, showy Catts.

So, diploid x triploid can yield viable seed? Do you get diploids and
triploids in the seedlings?

Dave