Old 29-12-2005, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
rist2796

Default Orchid Photos

I've started a photo blog with pictures of my orchids at
www.staceysphotosnmore.blogspot.com. Please look at the archived Orchid
page and let me know what you think.

Old 29-12-2005, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

I had two nice orchids in bloom last week that I am using for next
generation stud parents.

A Christmas Cattleya, the C trianaei var albascens
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...albasjem5a.jpg
I am going for two pods of C trianaei var albascens X C trianaei alba Aranka
Germaske on this plant. This is a difficult cross to make because Aranka is
a triploid.

And a nice Cattleya mendelii
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...endelii08a.jpg
times a high quality sib owned by an old friend... who won't sell it, but
gave me the pollen last year.

Aren't Cattleyas just the best orchids for real beauty?

Mick

Old 29-12-2005, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave S

Mick,

Love those big, showy Catts.

So, diploid x triploid can yield viable seed? Do you get diploids and
triploids in the seedlings?

Dave

Old 29-12-2005, 12:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Dave,

It's haploid x triploid. In every normal swarm (of seed) there is every
possibility... there is every genetic structure, every color including blue
and you would see it if you had enough greenhouse real estate to grow every
seed out. In this particular cross I know I won't get a million seed that
are "sproutable". More likely there will only be a couple hundred out of
the million seed that will actually grow into a plant. My expectations are
quite modest in this particular cross. Five years ago I managed to cross
Aranka Germaske with AC Burrage and there were only a few hundred sprouts in
the mother flask, but they grew out very well and strong.

Mick Fournier
HBI, Producers of Fine Orchids in Flask
www.OrchidFlask.com

=======================================

oups.com...

Old 29-12-2005, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
rist2796

So how did you like my pictures???

Old 29-12-2005, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

So how did you like my pictures???

They are nice, Dale. One suggestion would be to try to get the entire flower
in the frame. Another would be to always get a tag when you purchase a new
orchid. Most of us here are hobbyists (though we do have some pros, too),
but we learned long ago the value of a name. You can't know what an orchid
needs if you don't know what it is.

Diana

Old 30-12-2005, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Dale,

I didn't like 'em. I wouldn't waste a minute taking pictures of Renanthera
and Encylia/Epis to start with and then I certainly would not publish them
without knowing the exact name of the flowers... but then hell that's just
me. And then I am not all that keen on hybrids either. I usually
protect/shield my eyes from hybrid orchid pictures.

To be truthful I hadn't even looked at your website/pictures until you just
wrote asking for my opinion. You see I like to bury my posts in other
people's threads where I think the masses are just going to skip over the
entire thread... yours looked like a good candidate for avoiding the
non-aficionados. The people that want to see my pix or hear my rap know
they can sometimes find me in threads like yours... that's how I showed up
here. I enjoy finding a thread that destined to go nowhere from the git-go
and then livening it up.

So... let's see the funny juvenile pictures of people eating that your
sister-in-law knocked you upside 'da head over. Those would be a lot more
interesting I think. And that would get you some serious "mileage" here on
RGO Dale. In closing, do I need to say, "keep up the good work Dale" so you
can cut & paste it into your self-applauding atta-boy website like Mr/Ms
Anonymous said? If so, just let me know.

Mick

====================

"rist2796" wrote in message
oups.com...
So how did you like my pictures???

Old 30-12-2005, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tbell

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:41:00 -0800, Mick Fournier wrote
(in article ):

I had two nice orchids in bloom last week that I am using for next
generation stud parents.

A Christmas Cattleya, the C trianaei var albascens
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...albasjem5a.jpg
I am going for two pods of C trianaei var albascens X C trianaei alba Aranka
Germaske on this plant. This is a difficult cross to make because Aranka is
a triploid.

And a nice Cattleya mendelii
http://personalpages.bellsouth.net/f...endelii08a.jpg
times a high quality sib owned by an old friend... who won't sell it, but
gave me the pollen last year.

Aren't Cattleyas just the best orchids for real beauty?

Mick

Two lovely Catts, Mick. I especially like the pink flush on the trianae.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Old 30-12-2005, 04:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave S

Mick,

I thought haploid just referred to the reproductive cells...diploid
cells divide to produce haploid gametes. Maybe that's what you were
talking about. You'll have to forgive my ignorance as it's been a while
since I took genetics. Anyway, your response that you get low
germination and a mixture of genetic possibilities is kind of what I
figured.

While we are on the topic of beautiful Cattleyas, here's the favorite
in my collection, C. mossiae semi-alba:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shtief...03.jpg&.src=ph

The floof-haters will cringe if they hit that link, but I dont care!

Dave

Old 30-12-2005, 04:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Dave S

Arrrrg!

Google groups blocks the portion of my e-mail address that appears in
the link above, so it wont work. If anyone really wants to go to the
trouble, the 3 missing letters a ief (as in 'shtief at
sbcglobal.net')

Dave

Old 30-12-2005, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Mick Fournier

Dave,

I don't know what floof is... but the your cattleya mossiae flower looks
very nice. I like mossiae flowers. They always point upward and show well
without a lot of brace wires behind them.

Mick

Old 30-12-2005, 07:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Munir

You might try using http://www.makeashorterlink.com (It's free.) It
will create a short URL that points to the same destination. -M

orchid photos Dustin Orchids 9 20-08-2004 07:37 AM
Sterio 3D orchid photos phil tomlinson Orchids 0 14-08-2004 04:58 AM
Orchid Photos: Getting Those Reds? Diana Kulaga Orchids 24 20-02-2004 01:03 PM
Orchid Photos: Getting Those Reds? Diana Kulaga Orchids 0 15-02-2004 10:59 PM
Botanical gardens photos (Was Rachel Corrie- PA staged photos) Hane Edible Gardening 0 25-03-2003 03:32 PM