Old 02-01-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Ross

Default Christmas bloomers

Persephone wrote:

My roses usually have a huge flush around Christmas time,
but this year it's puny.

Wonder if it's due to warm Fall weather? We really haven't
had any "winter" yet.

Any other rose growers in So. Calif coastal (Santa Monica-Venice)
care to share their experiences?

Also: When do you prune? I usually do it in mid-to-late
January, but wondering if I should move it up; they
are looking mighty spindly.

I'm more inland, between the San Fernando Valley and Thousand
Oaks.

I haven't looked today (too wet and cold). But about two days ago,
'Honor', climbing 'Chrysler Imperial', and 'Iceberg' roses were
blooming in my garden.

I will start pruning my roses as soon as I'm through pruning my
peach tree (about half done). That will be in about a week if the
rain stops. I don't wait for them to stop blooming. Instead, I
cut a bouquet for my wife.

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_rosepruning.html. I'm
a bit behind schedule. Ignore what that page says about my grapes;
the hill is too unstable for me to climb it to reach them. Anyway,
the grapes will have to be removed when the hill is repaired.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean