Old 29-12-2005, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca

Default Christmas bloomers

Actually they are Day after Christmas Bloomers, since it rained all
Christmas Day and
I couldn't do my garden walk through until the 26th. Anyway here's my
annual report
on what's in bloom:
Shrubs:
Azaleas (2)
Flowering Maple, Abutilon
Euryops
Winter Honeysuckle, Lonicera fragrantissima, it was covered with
honeybees
Japanese Aralia, Fatsia
Camellias sasanqua: Kanjiro, HanaJiman and Yuletide
japonica: Pink Perfection
Viburnum tinus
Perennials:
Cyclamen
Lavender, French and Spanish
Fibrous Begonias
Iris Dwarf bearded, Smell the Roses and BlueEyes
Tall bearded, Eleanor Roosevelt (deep purple)
Lantana, common lavender color
Gaillardia, do these ever quit?
Narcissus, China Lily
Bidens, Forget me Nots
Primroses, Pansies, Violas
Desert Globe Mallow, Sphaeralcea
Dianthus, Snaps, Sweet Alyssum, Verbena are blooming, but mostly
leftovers
from earlier in the Fall and looking a little bedraggled from all the
rain.
Also Potato Vine, Solanum jasminoides

Emilie in NorCal
Happy New Year to all......

Old 30-12-2005, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Ross

mleblanca wrote:

[...]

I just updated my "What's Blooming in My Garden Now?". Go to
http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_bloom.html.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 30-12-2005, 02:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca

Hi David
I enjoyed reading your list.
I was surprised to find so many plants in bloom since we
have had only 3 good sunny days for the last of December (after the
15th). and almost 7 inches of rain!
My azaleas in bloom are Albert and Elizabeth and Prize.

I used to have the Persicaria, but it became a thug.
My Erica, Furzey, has a few blooms on it today.

Emilie
NorCal, zone 8, but the last 3 years more zone 9

Old 30-12-2005, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
David Ross

mleblanca wrote [in part]:

I used to have the Persicaria, but it became a thug.

Yes, it can be quite agressive. It was planted by the lanscaper I
hired to redo my backyard three years ago. In the more sunny
areas, the Potentilla (cinquefoil) is just as bad. It was
accidentally introduced many years ago, in a load of soil
amendment.

I'm trying to take advantage of both in my front yard, where shade
and roots from various trees make turf difficult and dichondra (my
preference) impossible. I'm using cuttings taken from the back
yard.

In the main lawn area, I have set Persicaria cuttings. These seem
to be thiving, but they're not spreading as fast as they did in
back. I don't care if they are invasive there because I only have
shrubs, trees, and Hahn's ivy.

In the parkway, I have set Potentilla cuttings. I chose this
because it stays lower to the ground and does better in full sun
than the Persicaria. It survives but doesn't seem to be
spreading. Indeed, near my mailbox, I still have more dichondra
than cinquefoil. In the back, before I had it redone, the
cinquefoil had crowded out most of the dichondra. It also survived
the renovation of my back yard landscape.

Old 31-12-2005, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

Roses, Fuchsias, impatiens, begonias, apple tree, banana tree (I guess
that can be called a bloom), jade plant, dandelions

I saw some lupines blooming alongside the road today.

Old 31-12-2005, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 04:43:06 GMT, Charles
wrote:

Roses, Fuchsias, impatiens, begonias, apple tree, banana tree (I guess
that can be called a bloom), jade plant, dandelions

I saw some lupines blooming alongside the road today.

My roses usually have a huge flush around Christmas time,
but this year it's puny.

Wonder if it's due to warm Fall weather? We really haven't
had any "winter" yet.

Any other rose growers in So. Calif coastal (Santa Monica-Venice)
care to share their experiences?

Also: When do you prune? I usually do it in mid-to-late
January, but wondering if I should move it up; they
are looking mighty spindly.

Thanks for any info.

Persephone
Old 02-01-2006, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Ross

Persephone wrote:

My roses usually have a huge flush around Christmas time,
but this year it's puny.

Wonder if it's due to warm Fall weather? We really haven't
had any "winter" yet.

Any other rose growers in So. Calif coastal (Santa Monica-Venice)
care to share their experiences?

Also: When do you prune? I usually do it in mid-to-late
January, but wondering if I should move it up; they
are looking mighty spindly.

I'm more inland, between the San Fernando Valley and Thousand
Oaks.

I haven't looked today (too wet and cold). But about two days ago,
'Honor', climbing 'Chrysler Imperial', and 'Iceberg' roses were
blooming in my garden.

I will start pruning my roses as soon as I'm through pruning my
peach tree (about half done). That will be in about a week if the
rain stops. I don't wait for them to stop blooming. Instead, I
cut a bouquet for my wife.

See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_rosepruning.html. I'm
a bit behind schedule. Ignore what that page says about my grapes;
the hill is too unstable for me to climb it to reach them. Anyway,
the grapes will have to be removed when the hill is repaired.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 2 29-12-2010 10:31 PM
Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 6 31-12-2007 11:21 PM
Christmas Bloomers mleblanca Gardening 0 26-12-2006 05:49 PM
Christmas bloomers MLEBLANCA Gardening 5 27-12-2004 09:38 PM
Christmas Eve Bloomers MLEBLANCA Gardening 7 25-12-2003 09:32 PM