Old 02-01-2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Default Growing an Avocoda Tree From Seed

I used to live in a house that had 2 avocado trees in the yard. When the
wind blew hard, I would get a yard full of avocados all over the ground. I
started throwing them over the fence into a cane field until my neighbor
stopped me. He had me put them up for a few days until they got softer.
The little ones actually ripened up and were as good tasting as those that
ripened on the tree.

My wife and daughter have both started small trees from seeds. I don't see
why you couldn't.

Dwayne
Persephone wrote in message
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 02:06:04 GMT, "Bryan" wrote:

Many years ago when I was a kid I sprouted a avocado pit(seed) using the
toothpick in the sides and immersed in water. It was so long ago i can't
remmeber how long the plant lasted.

Anybody ever achieved growing a avocado into a small tree?. Will the seeds
actually still sprout ?. Most of the fruit in stores nowadays is so far
from
ripe that I wonder if the seed is developed enough to sprout.

Small tree? SMALL tree? I did the avocado avec toothpick gig years
ago, and casually stuck the resulting plant int the ground, not paying
much attention where. It grew into a huge tree, which bore
erratically; some years tons, some years just enough to satisfy the
(&&^^$$()_^ squirrels, who chewed on the avocados which then
fell to the ground and never got ripe.

Dunno about today's avocados. Presumably if you buy really
organic ones, you'd have better luck...?

Try it; it couldn't hurt.

Persephone