Old 02-01-2006, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bryan

Default Growing an Avocoda Tree From Seed

Many years ago when I was a kid I sprouted a avocado pit(seed) using the
toothpick in the sides and immersed in water. It was so long ago i can't
remmeber how long the plant lasted.

Anybody ever achieved growing a avocado into a small tree?. Will the seeds
actually still sprout ?. Most of the fruit in stores nowadays is so far from
ripe that I wonder if the seed is developed enough to sprout.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 02:06:04 GMT, "Bryan" wrote:

Many years ago when I was a kid I sprouted a avocado pit(seed) using the
toothpick in the sides and immersed in water. It was so long ago i can't
remmeber how long the plant lasted.

Anybody ever achieved growing a avocado into a small tree?. Will the seeds
actually still sprout ?. Most of the fruit in stores nowadays is so far from
ripe that I wonder if the seed is developed enough to sprout.

Small tree? SMALL tree? I did the avocado avec toothpick gig years
ago, and casually stuck the resulting plant int the ground, not paying
much attention where. It grew into a huge tree, which bore
erratically; some years tons, some years just enough to satisfy the
(&&^^$$()_^ squirrels, who chewed on the avocados which then
fell to the ground and never got ripe.

Dunno about today's avocados. Presumably if you buy really
organic ones, you'd have better luck...?

Try it; it couldn't hurt.

Persephone

Old 02-01-2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

I used to live in a house that had 2 avocado trees in the yard. When the
wind blew hard, I would get a yard full of avocados all over the ground. I
started throwing them over the fence into a cane field until my neighbor
stopped me. He had me put them up for a few days until they got softer.
The little ones actually ripened up and were as good tasting as those that
ripened on the tree.

My wife and daughter have both started small trees from seeds. I don't see
why you couldn't.

Dwayne

Old 02-01-2006, 04:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Koi-lo

"Bryan" wrote in message news:gU%tf.2929$tl.267@pd7tw3no...
Many years ago when I was a kid I sprouted a avocado pit(seed) using the
toothpick in the sides and immersed in water. It was so long ago i can't
remmeber how long the plant lasted.

Anybody ever achieved growing a avocado into a small tree?. Will the seeds
actually still sprout ?. Most of the fruit in stores nowadays is so far
from ripe that I wonder if the seed is developed enough to sprout.

The seed will sprout, and sometimes it turns into a tree. The haas avocados
you buy in a grocery store are all grafted clones. Trees grown from seed,
produce fruits of unpredictable qualities, which is undesirable for orchards
and nurseries. Very few fruits trees are grown from seed these days, they're
all grafted clones for consistent texture, size, transportability, flavor,
etc.

If you want to sprout a seed, jab 3 toothpicks into the sides, put the
button side of the seed into the cup of water, and wait a few days.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
GreenCeed

Yea nearly every fruit and nut tree is grafted on sturdy root stock.

The top part generally makes bigger and/or greater fruit, but has a
weaker root stock on it, so they graft the top good fruit side to the
bottom smaller fruit etc. but with a better root stock

If im right.

Old 02-01-2006, 07:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Koi-lo

"GreenCeed" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yea nearly every fruit and nut tree is grafted on sturdy root stock.

The top part generally makes bigger and/or greater fruit, but has a
weaker root stock on it, so they graft the top good fruit side to the
bottom smaller fruit etc. but with a better root stock

If im right.

That's one reason, cost is another, a single tree can produce a few hundred
graft stems or buds a year, where it might only produce a few dozen seeds.
Again where the fruit/nut from the a plant produced by seed might not have
all the desired characteristics.

Also in orchards grafted plants are often shorter, which means the harvest
is closer to the ground. There are all kinds of cost and safety benefits
associated not having to have people stand on tall ladders.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bryan

Found an intersting site that has some tips on growing your own avocado
tree. As explained in the article don;t expect fruit from a plant grown from
seed.

http://www.avocado.org/about/2000_24.php?sd=about

"Bryan" wrote in message
Will give it a try, not interested in a fruit producing tree as it will be
a indoor plant.

"Koi-lo" wrote in message
om...

Old 02-01-2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:44:51 GMT, "Bryan" wrote:

Found an interesting site that has some tips on growing your own avocado
tree. As explained in the article don;t expect fruit from a plant grown from
seed.

http://www.avocado.org/about/2000_24.php?sd=about

Whatever...but I did it. Tree yielded (sporadically) for years.
Maybe avocados were different then?

[...]

Persephone

Old 02-01-2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
gardenlen

g'day bryan,

they will grow from seed, if you are only wanting a different probably
somewhat plain tree in your garden it could be a good project. if you
are hoping for fruit the same quality that the pip came from that is
the big unknown for the main most info' indicates that seedlings may
bare fruit of such poor qulaity as not to be desirable to eat or never
bare fruit at all and in some cases they have been reported to have
given good qulaity fruit at times.

they are a large to very large tree.

alos you may have to wait for quiet a long period before you see any
fruiting results from seedling it could take 12 years give or take.

if you are wanting quality fruit in shorter time buy a grafted plant,
you can have fruit in 5 years or less, i have a tree been 2 years in
the ground and about 2 meters high with it's first fruit on it. select
the variety that will suit your growing conditions the best.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.users.bigpond.com/gardenlen1

Old 03-01-2006, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
clevermonkey

I'm only a teenager but up on the kitchen window is my avocado tree. It
was grown from the avocado pit. It's only about a foot tall but it took
a long time so I'm proud of it!

Old 07-02-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:22:51 GMT, Garrapata
wrote:

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 11:44:51 GMT, "Bryan" wrote:

As explained in the article don;t expect fruit from a plant grown from
seed.

The article doesn't explain why you shouldn't expect fruit it juist
states that you shouldn't.

Providing you live in a climate that allows you to plant it outside in
the ground or have a large enough interior or greenhouse there is no
reason not to expect fruit. It may not have the size or quality of a
commercial variety but it should fruit.

It does. While my tree existed, the squirrels even let me have some
avocados -- once in a while. They were very good (the avocados, not
the squirrels).

Persephone

--

A Remarkable coincidence!