Old 02-01-2006, 10:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bryan

Default Growing an Avocoda Tree From Seed

Will give it a try, not interested in a fruit producing tree as it will be a
indoor plant.

"Koi-lo" wrote in message
om...
"Bryan" wrote in message
Many years ago when I was a kid I sprouted a avocado pit(seed) using the
toothpick in the sides and immersed in water. It was so long ago i can't
remmeber how long the plant lasted.

Anybody ever achieved growing a avocado into a small tree?. Will the
seeds actually still sprout ?. Most of the fruit in stores nowadays is so
far from ripe that I wonder if the seed is developed enough to sprout.

The seed will sprout, and sometimes it turns into a tree. The haas
avocados you buy in a grocery store are all grafted clones. Trees grown
from seed, produce fruits of unpredictable qualities, which is undesirable
for orchards and nurseries. Very few fruits trees are grown from seed
these days, they're all grafted clones for consistent texture, size,
transportability, flavor, etc.

If you want to sprout a seed, jab 3 toothpicks into the sides, put the
button side of the seed into the cup of water, and wait a few days.