Old 02-01-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default New trees to replace old ones

Hi Everyone
I used to post as Joan from Bramhall but we've now moved to a farm in
Ayrshire so I'm Joan from Ayrshire now.

The farm we've moved to used to have a lot of trees, but the previous
owner cut nearly all of them down. We have an old map of the land
from the late 1600's which shows rows of trees going down to the road.
Some of the trees that have been chopped down were over 4 feet across,
and in the same position as on the map, so I presume these were the
same trees as were planted then. Heartbreaking. There is one left
just near the house which is enormous, which I think is a large leaved
lime. Anyway, we want to replace these trees with hornbeam, oak,
willow, lime, chestnut, etc., in the field that the stumps of the old
trees were in. (Don't know what varieties the old trees were). I'm a
bit worried about fungus infections from the old stumps. Does anyone
know the distance we should plant the new trees from the old?

TIA

Joan
remove 'spam' from email to reply