Old 02-01-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

Default New trees to replace old ones

Hi Everyone
I used to post as Joan from Bramhall but we've now moved to a farm in
Ayrshire so I'm Joan from Ayrshire now.

The farm we've moved to used to have a lot of trees, but the previous
owner cut nearly all of them down. We have an old map of the land
from the late 1600's which shows rows of trees going down to the road.
Some of the trees that have been chopped down were over 4 feet across,
and in the same position as on the map, so I presume these were the
same trees as were planted then. Heartbreaking. There is one left
just near the house which is enormous, which I think is a large leaved
lime. Anyway, we want to replace these trees with hornbeam, oak,
willow, lime, chestnut, etc., in the field that the stumps of the old
trees were in. (Don't know what varieties the old trees were). I'm a
bit worried about fungus infections from the old stumps. Does anyone
know the distance we should plant the new trees from the old?

TIA

Joan
remove 'spam' from email to reply
Old 03-01-2006, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Joan Riley" wrote in message
[...]

I doubt that the trees you mention were all 400 years old but never mind if
some idiot chopped them all down. You now have a golden opportunity to do a
grand job of planting something worthwhile for yourself and other folk.
I would not restrict myself too much to any specific varieties.
I envy you.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Snip
I would be surprised if
you find large mature willows and hornbeams in Ayrshire, and there's a
reason for that. Ayrshire is not much like England.

Janet. (Isle of Arran)

Look I know I am a dense Yorkshireman and that Hornbeams are Southern
bedwetter trees but I don't understand why they don't grow up there.
It's happy new year time and I still have a headache so please don't shout
at me (yet)

Old 03-01-2006, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Rupert" contains these words:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

Snip
I would be surprised if
you find large mature willows and hornbeams in Ayrshire, and there's a
reason for that. Ayrshire is not much like England.

Janet. (Isle of Arran)

Look I know I am a dense Yorkshireman and that Hornbeams are Southern
bedwetter trees but I don't understand why they don't grow up there.
It's happy new year time and I still have a headache so please don't
shout
at me (yet)

(whisper)

I'm not sure. High rainfall, high winds, low light levels, acid
soil? Maybe hornbeam doesn't ripen seed here?

Like narrow leaved willows, hornbeam is just not a tree one often
sees in west Scotland. I've seen young ones planted, and done it myself,
but they tend not to survive long enough to make a fullgrown specimen
Willows with narrow leaves seem to succumb to a virus after a few years
(doesn't affect the shrubby native goat willow, salix caprea).

So, neither of them would be my trees of choice here, if the OP wants
something longlived or a large feature in the landscape. West Scotland
doesn't suit fedges and living-willow structures, either. A while back
every school and community garden went through a phase of planting
willow playhouses etc, but I've never seen one that survived longer than
a few years.

Janet

In this part of West Yorkshire the Tree preservation lot insist that
Hornbeam are their preferred trees for replanting in conservation areas etc.
Hornbeam are native to the SW of England on clay soil so it will be
interesting to see how they do up here.
How do Birch and Beech trees (close relatives?)fare in your part of the
world ?

Old 03-01-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Joan Riley

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 20:56:21 GMT, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Joan Riley contains
these words:

Hi Everyone
I used to post as Joan from Bramhall but we've now moved to a farm in
Ayrshire so I'm Joan from Ayrshire now.

Welcome to civilisation :-)

The farm we've moved to used to have a lot of trees, but the previous
owner cut nearly all of them down. We have an old map of the land

(snip). Does anyone
know the distance we should plant the new trees from the old?

No point worrying; the roots of such huge ancient trees will be
throughout that field.

(snip)

Plant what you see thriving locally, and plant small and bare-root
(from a Scottish nursery source, better suited to Scottish conditions).

(Snip)

Janet. (Isle of Arran)

Thankyou, Janet and also Rupert. Janet, (or anyone else) can you
recommend a Scottish tree nursery? I've done a search on Google and
Yell.com and only found one (Strathayre Nursery). There are lots of
beech hedges and some beech trees round here but we read that hornbeam
do better than beech in wet conditions. We prefer beech anyway, so
thanks for the tip.

This farm has been let to go to rack and ruin and we are looking
forward to bringing it back to as much of its former loveliness as we
can (just wish we were 20 years younger!) - a really exciting project
and a chance to give something back to a country where we have had so
many happy holidays.

Joan in Ayrshire
remove 'spam' from email to reply