Old 03-01-2006, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
shazzbat

Default BBC "Christine's garden"

"Rupert" wrote in message

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Rupert" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Friday's new series called Christine's garden is certainly something
different, but I reserve judgement.
However the lady has no lack of knowledge and experience, so I was
delighted to hear her say that you should not water plants in bright
sunlight, because it may scorch the leaves. So I am not the only one
who has spent a lifetime believing that!!

Pam in Bristol

Quite a refreshing programme.
I believe she and you have so far spent a lifetime believing watering
(in sunshine) scorches leaves.
It's a fib,a myth and an attempt by the Water Companies to save water
:-)

You're right, and it winds me up to keep hearing that. Does anybody ever
post a pic of the damage caused by sunshine after a shower? No, I didn't
think so.

The simple truth is a droplet of water on a leaf has nowhere near the
sphericality which would give it the optical capability to scorch a leaf

Rant ends.

(But I can't blame the water companies for wanting us to water less)

Steve

We could both be wrong -it never ever rains anywhere when the sun is
shinning and if it does all the plants get scorched and die instantly.

The other one that winds me up is " the easy way to water your hanging
baskets - just pop a couple of ice cubes in, they water it as they melt".

Quite apart from the effects of putting freezing cold water on your plants
on a hot day, have you seen how much water you get from a couple of ice
cubes?

Rant ends. Again.

Steve